Carpet Roses – A Flowering Ground Cover.
Carpet roses are a low growing groundcover, trailing or rockery type rose. Carpet Roses flower prolifically and with new improved releases now available carpet rose flower colour is as varied as for other roses. These roses need little care or pruning, however like any rose they need to be kept in shape.
Low growing roses have been around for years, however many of the older types have small flowers and do not provide the mass display of colour that modern varieties do. With a flowering season from early spring through summer to autumn, and even through winter in some areas of Australia with warmer climates the carpet rose can produce thousands of flowers each year.
Planting Flower Carpet roses
Each bush will cover around .8m, dig in some well rotted compost before planting, space your roses and then plant to the same depth as they were in the pot. Water in well with a liquid seaweed fertilizer to promote good root growth.
Care of carpet roses in the Australian climate
Pruning once a year is the main task and this can be done in late winter to early spring, simply use large shears (hedge clippers or loppers) to prune back by 2/3. And pruning is not difficult, we have pruned them with electric hedge clippers and they survived, to flower prolifically a few months later.
The first year carpet roses will require a little water through the summer, you can mulch around them to help retain moisture.
- Remember they are a landscaping rose, so they can be pruned with loppers without worrying about how or where to make the cut.
- Rake up pruning’s and dispose of them, we do not use rose pruning’s in the compost.
- Fertilize with an all purpose slow release rose fertilizer each winter to spring just before pruning.
Pruning Carpet Roses
Simply prune back to 1/4 to 1/3 of the size of the plant in late winter to spring. As long as you do not go back into the main stem it is hard to go wrong.
- Position – Full Sun
- Soil – Humus rich well drained.
- Flowering period – Generally from spring through to late autumn.
- Flower colour – Varied depending in variety. Red, Pink, Yellow, White.
- Height – 70 to 90 cm
- Spread – 70 to 90 cm
- Fertilise with a specialist rose fertilise in spring.
- For mass planting as a ground cover space at 70cm.
Available for sale from the following nurseries
Bare rooted and potted. Old World, David Austin, Bush & Standard Roses. Over 400 varieties available by Mail Order.
470 Monbulk-Silvan Road Monbulk VIC 3793
"Guaranteed mail order flowering bulbs, perennials, roses, trees, landscaping plants, garden accessories and community fundraising Austra lia-wide."
400 Galston Road, Galston NSW 2159
Huge range of potted roses available all year - weeping, standards, climbing, groundcover, bush, David Austin, Smooth Touch, Old World, New Releases. Rose Garden Design Service.