Mail-order plants are readily available to Australian gardeners, including flower bulbs, perennial plants, roses and trees. Many nurseries across Australia offer online shopping for plants and garden accessories, providing free access to comprehensive, full-colour catalogues with thousands of plant varieties.
We provide a guide to mail-order plants and catalogues available in Australia. Nurseries with an online presence make buying plants a lot easier. Online plant and nursery catalogues are a fantastic way to research and find plants for both home gardens and commercial landscaping projects.
The advantage of buying plants via mail order is the flexibility to purchase them as potted specimens almost year-round or during the dormant period, making them ready to plant for the upcoming season. Plants are carefully packaged to ensure they arrive in excellent condition.
Flower bulbs, Roses, Fruit Trees and Perennial plants are all popular by mail order. Roses and Fruit Trees are sent bare-rooted during the winter season. Bulbs and Perennial plants are available during their dormant periods, which can vary from one plant to another.
Seasonal Mail Order Plant Catalogues
Plant nurseries will usually publish new catalogues each season.
- Roses – in winter as bare-rooted plants.
- Daffodil Bulbs – in summer to autumn.
- Lilium Bulbs – in winter.
- Crocus – in autumn or spring, depending on the species.
- Perennials – in winter (most), although many are available year-round.
- Succulents – many are available year-round.
Nearly all mail-order plant catalogues are seasonal, although many plants are actually available year-round. True ‘mail order’ is packed and posted in most nurseries, so both potted plants and dormant plants are available for delivery at various times.
Most mail-order plant catalogues follow a seasonal schedule, but many plants can be ordered throughout the year. In most nurseries, both potted and dormant plants are available and prepared for shipping, allowing for delivery at all times.
Mail Order Nurseries
We provide a range of resources for purchasing a wide range of plants through mail order. Our Rose Finder is a popular tool, and our comprehensive species list includes links to all major Australian mail-order plant nurseries.
Here’s a brief overview of where to buy plants and garden products via mail order or online.
- A-Z Directory of Mail Order Plants
- Australian Native Plants
- Fruit Trees
- Perennial Plants – For Bulbs and Tuberose Plants Click Here
- Garden Pots and Planters
- Rose Finder
For a complete list of plants visit our
Specialist Nursery Directory
When buying mail-order plants, consider the following:
- Look at catalogues from a range of online suppliers to compare prices.
- Remember that plants can be purchased when dormant or as potted specimens.
- Plants may not be available all year round, so plan ahead.
- On receiving plants, unpack and plant immediately, following instructions.
- If plants do not appear healthy, contact the supplier immediately.