Moisture loving Phaius orchids have earned the common name of ‘Swamp Orchid’. The genus includes Australia’s largest terrestrial orchid and although htey are not widely offered for sale,these are a very attractive orchid for those who have the appropriate conditions.
Generally large growing, species such as Phaius tankervilleae can reach to 2m in height, large broad green foliage and tall flower spikes above this is a popular species in sub tropical climates.
Phaius are a group of about 50 terrestrial orchid species found from Africa through to the Philippines and Australia. Growing in a range of conditions from swampy areas through to forests and grasslands Phaius Orchids are a varied genus.
Phaius orchid Care
These orchids that like lots of strong filtered light, not direct sun. They also like moisture but good drainage. Tall and with large flower spikes they are an excellent orchid for the hobby grower.
- All species require filtered light.
- Warm conditions with no frosts
- Constant moisture, however good drainage.
- Fertilise regularly.
- High humidity in summer, so stand pots over a tray of water.
Phaius Orchid Varieties
- Phaius australis is one of the largest species of ground orchids in Australia.
- Phaius humblotii or Humblot’s Phaius is named after the French Orchid Collector and is a popular species
- Phaius tankervilleae will grow to quit a large size given lots of fertilizer. Also known as ‘Lady Tankerville’s Swamp Orchid’
- Phaius bernaysii is known as the ‘Yellow swamp orchid’ and is regarded as rare both in cultivation and in the wild.
You will need to look at Orchid Fairs for these wonderful Orchids