This is the sugar maple and indeed Acer saccharum is a tree grown to produce maple syrup.
Originally from the eastern states of North America this is a large growing deciduous tree with classic large green maple leaves which will turn a brilliant yellow to orange and red in autumn.
The reason for the variations in autumn foliage relates to the temperature and the amount of sunlight.
So clear autumn skies and cool temperatures will bring more vibrant colors than warm cloudy autumns.
Growing well in full sun to part shade Acer saccharum is an excellent shade tree for larger gardens, Reaching around 25m in height with a large spreading canopy to 20m it is grown for the foliage rather than the flowers which are insignificant.
Growth rate is relatively slow, however when they are young they seem to put on good growth given appropriate conditions. An excellent tree for larger gardens, farms or as a street tree. And of course for the production of maple syrup.
Eucalyptus gunnii subsp. divaricata or the Miena cider gum, is grown in Tasmania and produces a similar sweet sap similar to maple syrup.
The only real issues are in very hot conditions when leaves may burn a little.
- Botanical Name -Acer saccharum
- Common Names – Sugar Maple or Hard Maple.
- Country of Origin – Canada to Northern USA, mainly found in Canada in hardwood forests.
- Climate Zones – Temperate to cool
- Position – Full sun to part shade
- Soil – Well drained humus rich.
- Height – Generally to around 10 metres.
- Spread – Will form a large crown over time.
- Growth Rate – Medium to Fast, the sugar maple will grow at around .7 metres a year.
- Foliage – Green turning to brilliant red in autumn..
- Flowers – Not significant, they are Samaras, which spread the seeds like helicopters.
- Flowering Time – Mainly in spring.
- Frost tolerant – Yes
- Drought tolerant – Medium
You may also be interested in
- Japanese Maple Trees
- Ginkgo Biloba
- Acer buegerianum
- Acer japonicum vitifolium
- Acer palmatum shaina
- Acer palmatum ‘Sango Kaku’ the Coral Bark Maple
- Acer platanoides globosum
- Acer negundo
- Acer palmatum atropurpureum
- Acer palmatum dissectum
- Acer rubrum
Available from the following nurseries
55 McDougal Rd Neerim South Victoria 3831 PH: (03) 56281507
Advanced ornamental trees and garden designs and concept plans. Direct to your property combined with specialist knowledge and outstanding service.
"Propagation and Production of Native and Exotic Trees
with Natural Root Systems from 2 to 2,000 lts."
Sproules Lane Bowral NSW 2576
Wholesale production nursery specialising in Cool Climate perennials and shrubs. Supplying Retail Nurseries and the Landscape Trade. Services include contract growing and plant sourcing.
82 David Hill Rd Monbulk (Opposite Vika Ave)
Japanese Maple and Magnolia specialists, Wholesale and Retail. Large range of other deciduous and evergreen ornamental trees and shrubs.