The only upright dissectum maple is Acer palmatum dissectum ’Seiryu’ , and it has always been a favourite of ours.
We were first attracted to the fine lacy foliage. A very attractive mid green. Then we fell in live with the brilliant autumn colour. This is a maple that holds interest until its foliage disappears in autumn.
This is a tree that is grown for the attractive foliage as a feature tree. It is also a useful small shade tree.
Its upright habit makes it suited to smaller gardens and courtyards. Also suited to planting in front of walls where it provides a strong visual contrast.
It is a suited to growing in containers.
Acer palmatum dissectum ’Seiryu’ Care
This is a very easy care Japanese Maple, it is best grown in a protected position as this improve foliage colour and prevents burning in the heat of summer.
A humus rich well drained soil will suit this outstanding upright maple. Yearly applications of a general purpose flow release fertiliser will improve growth and overall pant health.
Watering will be required through the first few summers. Once established Acer palmatum dissectum ’Seiryu’ is fairly drought tolerant if the soil is well mulched and the tree is protected from hot drying winds and sun.
Summary information for Acer palmatum dissectum ’Seiryu’
- Height – 3 to 5 metres over time depending on soil and climate.
- Spread – 3 to 5 metres over time.
- Position – Full sun, however best when protected form the hot afternoon sun and hot drying winds.
- Soil – Humus rich moist and well drained.
- Growth Rate – Slow to medium depending on soil and climate.
- Foliage – Green lacy and finely dissected turning to a brilliant red in autumn.
- Flowers – Insignificant red in spring.
- Bark – New bark is green ageing to a grey over time.
- Frost Tolerant – Yes.
- Drought Tolerant – No, but very hardy and does not require a lot of water in good soil when mulched.
Acer palmatum dissectum ’Seiryu’ is available for sale from the following participating suppliers
"Propagation and Production of Native and Exotic Trees
with Natural Root Systems from 2 to 2,000 lts."
Carey Gully, Adelaide Hills.
Family business selling a large range of deciduous trees in pots 1-4m high. Crepe myrtle specialist. Includes Ornamental pears & plums, Red maples, Japanese maples, Gingko, Cercis, Ash, Birch, Crab apples, Weeping cherries, Gleditsia, Liquidambar and more. Hedging plants, evergreen trees & fruit trees.
WINTER HILL TREE FARM Ph: 02 4878 9193 Fax: 02 4878 9109
NSW Southern Highlands
Retail & Wholesale. Advanced trees & hedging. Grown in pots for year-round planting. 45 litre - 1000 litre available. Great range. Great Quality. Delivery available.
55 McDougal Rd Neerim South Victoria 3831 PH: (03) 56281507
Advanced ornamental trees and garden designs and concept plans. Direct to your property combined with specialist knowledge and outstanding service.