The Horizontal Japanese Maple
With a wide spreading growth habit, rather than upright, Acer palmatum Horizontalis makes an interesting addition to the garden.
The growth habit is outwards with a natural arching or slightly pendulous habit. New foliage is a pale to lime green in spring, turning a deeper green in summer.
Care and Planting.
Acer palmatum Horizontalis is a very hardy and tolerant tree once established, it does however perform better in cooler climates.
In warmer areas protection from the hot afternoon sun will be beneficial.
- Prepare the soil well before planting by digging in some well rotted compost and aged manure.
- Ensure that drainage is good, in poorly drained soils either amend the soil, or hill up the soil and plant the tree raised a little.
- Water in well with a liquid seaweed fertiliser.
- Mulch to maintain a cool root run.
- Water as required through the first few summers.
Acer palmatum Horizontalis is grown for unusual yet attractive growth habit.
It spreads out rather than up and over time develops a slight weeping habit. It makes an excellent low growing plant in the border, or a low feature tree in the broader landscape.
As it will grow well in light shade it can also be used beneath larger deciduous trees to create a layered effect.
- Height – To around 2-3 metres in height, depending on climate and soil.
- Spread – Acer palmatum Horizontalis will form a crown of 2 metres across over time.
- Growth Rate – Slow to Medium.
- Position – Full sun to a afternoon shade.
- Soil requirements – Humus rich moist with good drainage.
- Foliage – Green, turning to gold and red in autumn.
Like most Japanese Maples, ‘Horizontalis’ does not generally require pruning and is best left to its natural growth habit.
Dead or damaged wood can be pruned way at any time with a sharp clean saw.
Acer palmatum ‘Horizontalis’ is available for sale from the following participating nurseries.
'Justly famous for rare and unusual plants' Don Teese
34 Mt Pleasant Rd Monbulk VIC 3793
CNR Sherbrooke & Mt Dandenong Tourist Rds Ferny Creek. VIC 3786
Conifers, Magnolias, Maples, Dogwoods and Buxus.
82 David Hill Rd Monbulk (Opposite Vika Ave)
Japanese Maple and Magnolia specialists, Wholesale and Retail. Large range of other deciduous and evergreen ornamental trees and shrubs.
Mob: 0421 821 307 Fax: 03 9752 0976
Quality grafted Japanese Maples. Largest range in Australia. Supplying Landscapers and Retail Nurseries. Strictly Wholesale. All states except WA.