Grown for the very attractive foliage Acer palmatum ‘Trompenburg’ is a small to medium sized tree. Very ornamental and widely used as a feature tree.
The new spring foliage is deep red, changing to a reddish green and then a good crimson red in autumn.
This is a fairly upright Japanese Maple and is suited to smaller gardens. Foliage is deeply lobbed with each leaf having 9 fingers. The foliage is also noticeably serrated.
The foliage is glossy and this adds to the overall appeal of the plant. Acer palmatum ‘Trompenburg’ can also be used as a background plant in a shaded border.
Care and Planting
As with most Japanese Maples it is best to choose a protected position for best growth and foliage colour. A position away from hot winds in summer, and with some protection from the hot afternoon sun in warmer climates.
The best time yo plant is is early spring, or early autumn. This give the plant time to develop a good root system before summer.
- Humus rich deep soil, dig in some extra well rotted compost before planting.
- Soil should be well drained.
- Carefully knock out of pot, plant to the same depth as in the pot and stake.
- Water in well with a liquid seaweed fertiliser.
- Mulch around the plant to maintain a cool moist root run.
- Water regularly through the first few summers and during long dry spells.
Acer palmatum ‘Trompenburg’ – Summary Information
- Height – Will reach around 4m in height.
- Spread – Will spread to a crown of 3m.
- Growth rate – Moderate.
- Foliage – The foliage is deeply lobed. Colour changes from reddish purple through reddish green and then to a good crimson in autumn.
- Soil – Best is a humus rich, moist well drained soil.
- Position – Full sun to part shade, however protected from hot winds and afternoon sun in summer.
Acer palmatum ‘Trompenburg’ is available for sale from the following nurseries
1870 Myers Creek Rd, Toolangi VIC 3777
Est. in 1994, we offer over 30 Varieties of quality 2nd year grafted Japanese Maples (Acer palmatum) available for mail order.
CNR Sherbrooke & Mt Dandenong Tourist Rds Ferny Creek. VIC 3786
Conifers, Magnolias, Maples, Dogwoods and Buxus.
'Justly famous for rare and unusual plants' Don Teese
34 Mt Pleasant Rd Monbulk VIC 3793
Mob: 0421 821 307 Fax: 03 9752 0976
Quality grafted Japanese Maples. Largest range in Australia. Supplying Landscapers and Retail Nurseries. Strictly Wholesale. All states except WA.