A small low growing maple, Acer palmatum ‘Murasaki kiyohime’ it will spread to nearly twice its own height.
In terms of Japanese maples, this is also a reasonably fast growing variety. It can form a good sized feature in around 5 years.
It looks stunning when planted in a rock garden or Japanese style garden.
With its low growing nature, it can be used to under plant taller trees.
Once established this is a very easy care maple. It s best when protected from the heat of the afternoon sun.
- Prepare the soil before planting.
- Amend with well rotted compost and some aged caw manure.
- Plant at the same depths it was in the container.
- Water in well with a liquid seaweed fertiliser.
- Mulch around the plant too maintain a cool root run.
- Water through the first summer.
- Botanical Name – Acer palmatum ‘Murasaki kiyohime’
- Common Names – None recognised.
- Position – Best in part shade.
- Soil – Humus rich, moist and well drained.
- Height – To around 1 – 2 metres, usually on the shorter side..
- Spread – Will spread to 2 metres or more.
- Growth Rate – Medium to fast.
- Foliage – Mid green with attractive new foliage margined with a deep scarlet red. Mature foliage is a mid green, orange to bronze and red in autumn.
- Flowers – Insignificant, red to green samaras in late spring.
- Flowering Time – Spring.
- Frost tolerant – Yes