The ‘Osakazuki’ Maple
With brilliant orange to red Autumn foliage, Acer palmatum ‘Osakazuki’ is one of the best varieties available. This is an excellent small shade tree for smaller gardens.
This is a small growing deciduous tree that will reach around 4 metres in height over time.
A naturally attractive open growth habit, good green foliage from spring through summer, and brilliant autumn tones make Acer palmatum Osakazuki a great plant pick.
Care and Planting.
Acer palmatum Osakazuki is a very hardy and tolerant tree once established, it does however perform better in cooler climates.In warmer areas protection from the hot afternoon sun will be beneficial.
- Prepare the soil well before planting by digging in some well rotted compost and aged manure.
- Ensure that drainage is good, in poorly drained soils either amend the soil, or hill up the soil and plant the tree raised a little.
- Water new plants in well with a liquid seaweed fertiliser.
- Mulch to maintain a cool root run.
- Water well through the first few summers.
Acer palmatum Osakazuki is suited to range of landscaping applications.
It works well as a feature tree in the garden, or can be used as a background tree in the border.
Being reasonably small growing it is also suited for growing in containers in courtyards and similar positions.
Excellent when used as a small shade tree.
Acer palmatum ‘Osakazuki’ Summary Information
- Height – To around 4 – 6 metres in height, depending on climate and soil.
- Spread – Acer palmatum Osakazuki will form a crown of 4 metres across over time.
- Growth Rate – Slow to Medium.
- Position – Full sun to a afternoon shade.
- Soil requirements – Humus rich moist with good drainage.
- Foliage – Green and with seven lobes, turning to a fiery orange to red in autumn.
- Flowers – small red flowers in clusters in spring.
Like most Japanese Maples, ‘Osakazuki’ does not generally require pruning and is best left to its natural growth habit.
Dead or damaged wood can be pruned way at any time with a sharp clean saw.
How much will they cost ? From $40 – 50 for small tree through to $500 plus for a larger 3-4m established specimens.
Acer palmatum ‘Osakazuki’ is available for sale from the following participating nurseries.
Mob: 0421 821 307 Fax: 03 9752 0976
Quality grafted Japanese Maples. Largest range in Australia. Supplying Landscapers and Retail Nurseries. Strictly Wholesale. All states except WA.
55 McDougal Rd Neerim South Victoria 3831 PH: (03) 56281507
Advanced ornamental trees and garden designs and concept plans. Direct to your property combined with specialist knowledge and outstanding service.
Carey Gully, Adelaide Hills.
Family run business selling advanced ornamental trees including 9 varieties of Crepe Myrtle, Maple, Birch, Ash, Ginko, Crab Apple, Ornamental Plum, Weeping Cherry, Oak & Chinese Tallow. Wholesale prices to the public.
WINTER HILL TREE FARM Ph: 02 4878 9193 Fax: 02 4878 9109
NSW Southern Highlands
Retail & Wholesale. Advanced trees & hedging. Grown in pots for year-round planting. 45 litre - 1000 litre available. Great range. Great Quality. Delivery available.
82 David Hill Rd Monbulk (Opposite Vika Ave)
Japanese Maple and Magnolia specialists, Wholesale and Retail. Large range of other deciduous and evergreen ornamental trees and shrubs.
"Propagation and Production of Native and Exotic Trees
with Natural Root Systems from 2 to 2,000 lts."