Star Jasmine or ‘Chinese Star Jasmine’
Trachelospermum jasminoides is commonly called ‘Star Jasmine’ is a versatile hardy climbing plant with fragrant flowers from summer through to autumn. Widely available for sale from garden centres, retail and mail order nurseries.
A versatile plant used widely as an evergreen climber, an informal low hedge a ground cover or as an espaliered plant or topiary.
This is an evergreen plant with deep green glossy foliage and masses of white fragrant flowers during summer to autumn as an added attraction.
How to Grow Star Jasmine
Star Jasmine is easy to grow once it gets established and tolerates full sun to part shade.
- Choose a position in full sun to a little shade.
- Prepare the soil well by digging in well rotted compost and some caw manure.
- A humus rich well drained soil is best.
- Plant and water in well with a liquid seaweed fertiliser to promote root growth.
- Mulch around the plant to maintain a cool moist root run.
Pruning Star Jasmine
- Best pruned immediately after flowering.
- Remove any dead, diseased or damaged wood.
- You can prune any stems back to just above a bud to keep a more compact growth habit.
- Once established remove some of the old wood every 3 – 4 years.
- You can also clip the plant back hard to keep in shape or to form a low growing bush.
Propagation is usually from cuttings, simply remove the lower foliage from a cutting around 12cm long taken in late summer, and plant in a moist potting mix.
Star Jasmine or Trachelospermum jasminoides will take root fairly easily, initial growth is slow at times.
- T. asiaticum is a good ground cover.
- Variegated forms such as T. tricolor have extra attraction in the foliage.
- Trachelospermum jasminoides Minuta Variegata – Attractive new pink growth is a feature. Reaches around 30 – 40 cm in height as a ground cover plant.
Available for sale from the following nurseries
82 David Hill Rd Monbulk (Opposite Vika Ave)
Japanese Maple and Magnolia specialists, Wholesale and Retail. Large range of other deciduous and evergreen ornamental trees and shrubs.
Online and Retail Melbourne and Geelong based garden centres. Check out their large range of indoor and outdoor plants, Australian Natives, Fruit Trees and Edibles, Succulents, Gardenias, Camellias, Hydrangeas plus a full range garden products for delivery in Melbourne.
We offer a wide range of quality plants (seedlings to advanced trees) delivered straight to your door. No minimum required and quality assured. We deliver Victoria wide and can plant for you too.
125 Palmer Rd Jindivick 3818
Open Thursday - Sunday 10am - 4pm
Specialising in growing and selling Rare and Unusual Trees, shrubs Perennials Bulbs and Climbers, a unique nursery with amazing stock.
Some more of the most popular climbers below
- climbing roses
- lapageria rosea
- hardenbergia (happy wanderer)
- pandorea (bower of beauty)
- lonicera (honeysuckle)
- petra volubilis
You can search for and find a huge range of plants both common and rare using our specialist nursery index