Christmas Palm – Veitchia merrilii (syn. Adonida merrillii)
A Native of the Philippines the Christmas Palm is a most attractive compact palm with umbrella like bright green foliage. Veitchia merrilii is reasonably small growing and will grow to about 5m.
Arching fronds to around 2m give the tree a nice shape. The Christmas palm will flower and the yellow flowers are followed by green berries than ripen to a red color.
This a palm tree that look good planted in groups of 3 – 5 ( we like the odd numbers). It is not a species that will tolerate long cold winters so is more suited to Brisbane and further north. As it is smaller growing than some other similar palm trees it makes a versatile landscaping plant.
Growing well in full sun to part shade, it is a palm tree that withstands wind fairly well and also grows well in containers.
Christmas Palm – Summary Information
- Height – Will reach around 5 metres in height
- Spread – will form a crown of around 4 metres across.
- Position – Full sun to a little shade.
- Soil – Humus rich well drained, although tolerant of a range of soil conditions.
- Foliage – Mid to deep green, arching fronds.
- Flowers – These are followed by prominent red berries in large clusters.