Palm Tree Types
Palm Trees used in Australian landscaping include a range of varieties suitable for most climates and palm trees are available for both for indoors and outdoors.
Varieties available for sale include both tall growing types and low growing understory varieties. Foliage differs greatly between species as does the colour of the fronds and even the trunks.
Palm Trees are widely used in landscaping, they give a ‘tropical look’ to the garden. Some varieties are also suiyed to low light conditions and are widely used indoors as well as in the garden.
Palms are either ‘palmate’ or ‘pinnate’ depending on leaf structure. Some palms require a tropical climate, others cope well in cooler areas, as far south as Tasmania.
We have detailed descriptions, photographs and growing notes for many popular varieties as well as where to buy them in our index (right)
Before buying a palm tree consider the following characteristics.
Self Cleaning Palms Trees.
These are varieties that will naturally drop their frond when they die, this eliminates the need to pruning, and the skirt of dead fronds is not an issue.
Armed or Unarmed
This simply tells us if the palm tree fronds have spikes or not. Especially important when planting near traffic areas,
Some palm trees require warmer climates than others and will not survive in colder climates.
Foliage and Trunks
Foliage differs both in shape and colour. Colours range from lighter green to deeper greens and through to blues. Foliage form also varies.
Trunks or stems also vary, many are grey, some are red and some have distinctive crown shafts.
Best Palm Trees
Popular palm tree varieties available in Australia include Cuban Royals, Foxtail Palms, Bismarkia, Carpentaria, Princess, Rednecks, Vechia, McAuthorite, Golden Cane, Travellers/Nth Sth, Triangle Palms.
PALM TREES – COMMON NAMES
- Acrocomia aculeata:: Spiny royal, Macaw palm
- Archontophoenix alexandrae :: Alexandra Palm
- Archontophoenix cunninghamiana :: Bangalow Palm
- Areca triandra :: Triandra Palm
- Arenga tremula :: Dwarf Sugar Palm
- Bismarckia nobilis :: Bismarck Palm, Bismarckia Palm
- Brahea dulcis:: Rock palm, Sombrero palm
- Butia capitata:: Jelly palm, Wine palm
- Carpentaria acuminata :: Carpie, Carpentaria Palm
- Caryota mitis :: Clustering Fishtail Palm
- Chamaedorea metallica :: Metallic Palm
- Chamaedorea seifrizii :: Florida Bamboo Palm
- Clinostigma savoryanum :: Pacific beauty palm
- Cocos nucifera :: Coconut palm
- Copernicia cowellii :: Cabbage palm
- Cryosophila warscewiczii :: Rootspine Palm
- Cycas revoluta :: Sago palm
- Cyrtostachys lakka :: Red Sealing Wax Palm, Lipstick Palm
- Cyrtostachys renda :: Lipstick palm, Sealing wax palm
- Dypsis baronii :: White Crownshaft Palm
- Dypsis decary :: Triangle Palm
- Dypsis gracilis :: Pink Crown Palm
- Dypsis leptocheilos :: Teddy Bear Palm, Red Neck
- Dypsis lutescens :: Golden Cane Palm
- Dypsis pinnatifrons ‘pink crown’
- Howea forsteriana :: Kentia Palm, Sentry Palm
- Hyophorbe lagenicaulis :: Bottle Palm
- Laccospadix australasica :: Atherton Palm
- Latania loddigesii :: Blue Latan Palm
- Licuala grandis :: Ruffled Fan Palm
- Licuala ramsayi :: Australian Fan Palm
- Normanbya normanbyi :: Queensland Black palm
- Phoenix canariensi :: Canary Island Date Palm
- Phoenix roebelenii :: Dwarf Date Palm, Pygmy Date Palm
- Pritchardia pacifica :: Fiji Fan Palm
- Ptychosperma elegans :: Solitaire Palm
- Ptychosperma macarthuri :: Macarthur Palm
- Ravenea rivularis :: Majestic Palm
- Rhapis excelsa :: Lady Palm
- Roystonea oleracea :: South American, Venezuelan Royal Palm
- Roystonea regia :: Cuban Royal Palm
- Sabal minor :: Dwarf Palmetto
- Thrinax parviflora :: Mountain Thatch Palm
- Veitchia merrillii :: Manila palm
- Wodyetia bifurcata :: Foxtail Palm
- Zombia antillarum :: Zombie palm
Palm Trees are available for sale from the following participating nurseries
685 Mickleham Rd, GreenVale,Vic 3059
Grass trees, palms, ferns, bromeliads, cycads, cordylines, yucca, bannanas, birds of paradise, succulents, dracaenas, ponytails, for all gardens sizes from small to large landscaped gardens. Advanced Date Palms available.
Phone: 0411 435 314
Online Retailer of Landscaping Plants, large quantities of small pot sizes up to advanced sizes & plant Sourcing.
SYDNEY | NORTHERN NSW | GOLD COAST | BRISBANE | MELBOURNE | ADELAIDE
ROLLINGSTONE WHOLESALE PALM NURSERY – phone: 0747707359
26 Bruce Hwy, (P O Box 205) Rollingstone Qld 4816
Wholesale tropical assorted palms specialising in Foxtail Palms, 8-10″ pots 3-5′ high, sun hardened,excellent condition, ready to plant.
SUNSHINE COAST GARDENERS PARADISE – phone: 07 5442 8120/54428492
1073 Browns Creek Road Eerwahvale QLD 4562
Production nursery Ferns, Natives,Palms Exotics from 140mm to 100L with display gardens Importers – Balinese statues water features thatching.
PALMS OF THE ORIENT – phone (08) 94548998 Fax (08) 9454 4422
11 Brand Rd High Wycombe WA 6057
Rhapis Palms, Palm of the Orient, Plain Green and Variegated palms. Palm collector, registered hobby nursery.
PALMS BY PEELDALE(Peeldale Pty. Ltd.) – phone 0266845221 / 0414845221
Walkers Lane Billinudgel 2483
Our tough sun hardened landscape palms are grown from seed & matured through to strong landscape stock. Specialising in 25 litre bags, a size identified as being both easily managed and affordable yet still presenting as established foliage.
FERNWORLD AUSTRALIA PTY LTD phone – (03) 9551 1285 Fax – (03) 9551 4843
572 Heatherton Road, Clayton South, VIC 3169
Fernworld is a wholesale, retail and exporting. A family owned and run business. We specialisein Ferns, Grass Trees, Palms, Water Plants and Water gardens.
PREMIER PALMS phone: 08 9454 4428 or 0408 454 373
9 Raven Street High Wycombe 6057 Perth Western Australia
Premier Palms was established in 1997 and stocks well over 100 varieties of palm, a good selection of cycads and a extensive selection of plants suitable for a tropical looking garden.
RONS RARE PALMS AND CYCADS – phone (07) 54467573
404 Browns Ck Rd PO Box 101 Yandina QLD 4561
PARADISE DISTRIBUTORS – 07 5441 5921