Commonly known as the Bread Tree, Encephalartos altensteinii is a species from souther Africa.
One of the easier cycads to grow it will grow in tropical areas right through to the cooler temperate climate zones.
Looking more like a palm tree than a cycad, this is a plant that actually forms a clump over time. It sends out suckers from the base, however in cultivation looks best as a solitary plant.
Grown in containers or in the ground this is a great plant to add structure and a tropical look to your landscaping design.
Growth and Care
Being adaptable in climate requirements this is a cycad that will grow well in full sun to part shade.
Growth rate is medium and in a well drained humus rich soil it requires very little care once established. Over time it can reach 5 – 7 metres in height and forms a sturdy trunk.
In dry climates, extra water over summer will keep the plant looking green and healthy.
The old foliage can be pruned away to give the plant a clean trunk if required.
- Botanical Name – Encephalartos altensteinii
- Common Name – Bread Tree. Prickly Cycad
- Position – Full sun to a part shade.
- Soil – Well drained humus rich.
- Height – To around 7m plus
- Spread – Forms a crown to around 2m plus.
- Evergreen – Yes
- Frost tolerant – Yes, however not suited to freezes