Beaucarnea recurvata (syn Nolina recurvata) is also known as the Ponytail Palm and is widely used in landscaping as well as indoor plant. This is an excellent easy care plant outdoors as well and can to create a tropical look near pools.
Grown for the interesting swollen trunk as well as the ‘Ponytail’ foliage. The trees that are mostly sold have a single head. However over time they can develop a number of heads. The swollen trunk give it another common name of ‘Elephants foot Palm’.
The base of the plant or ‘Caudex’ can spread to around 1 metre in very mature specimens.
Grown as indoor plants they are easy care and long lived.
In containers, these are a very slow growing tree. In ideal conditions, outdoors, and over time they can get to nearly 10 metres in height. These large mature plants will flower, producing a large creamy white plume on the crown of the plant.
Beaucarnea recurvata Care and Pruning
- Plant Type – Small Tree
- Country of origin – Eastern Mexico and Nearby areas.
- Common Name – Ponytail Palm
- Growth Rate – Slow
- Evergreen / Deciduous – Evergreen
- Soil – Well drained with extra water over summer
- Position – Full sun to part shade
- Height – To 10m but very slow growing and will be restricted in height if container grown.
- Width – To 3m over time.
- Habit – Upright with single trunk, developing a broader crown eventually.
- Root System – Not regarded as invasive they are fibrous and naturally shallow in habit.
Wholesale Ponytail Palms are available from the following Nurseries
Clays Rd Mullumbimby NSW 2482
Wholesale Palm Trees. Large range of palm trees in 45L bags at 5-6 years of age from 1-4 meters depending on variety. Available from QLD to Victoria.
TJ’S WHOLESALE PLANTS Cranbourne South, Victoria Phone (03) 97830733
SUNDALE PALMS 9910 Pacific Hwy, Woodburn, NSW, 2472 Phone 02 66822988 Mobile 0428 822988 Fax 02 66822339