Epimedium versicolor ‘Cherry Tart’ is a hybrid of one of the Mediterranean epimedium species which include E.perralderianum and E.pubigerum with its white flowers.
However this one is a E. versicolor hybrid with very attractive deep pink flowers. Good foliage which is veined with red, and good autumn color as well.
Flowers are a pink with deeper red spurs and will appear in spring with some spot flowering in autumn.
How to Grow Epimedium versicolor ‘Cherry Tart’
Reaching a height of around 30cm – 45cm it performs best in part shade in a well drained soil.
- Plant in part shade to light afternoon shade.
- Ensure the soil is well drained.
- Much around the plant to maintain a cool root run and encourage rhizome spread.
- A little extra water during long dry spells can be beneficial.
- Prune back foliage in winter to provide the best new growth.
Prune ‘Cherry Tart’
Like most Epimedium varieties the foliage is best pruned back to ground level in winter before the new shoots and flowers begin.
Pruning not only renews the foliage but also allows the flowers to stand tall and show themselves off.