WHOLESALE MAIDENHAIR FERNS
Perhaps the most popular of all ferns is the Maidenhair fern, these are Adiantum species and with nearly 100 varieties available, only a few are widely grown for the commercial market.
Offered by wholesalers in pots of various sizes as well as in hanging baskets. Long lived ferns if cared for they have delicate foliage and are an attractive addition to many indoor situations.
Not widely grown in outdoor landscaping projects, although in the right conditions they will thrive and can be used as under-story plants.
Some adiantum ferns offered do require warmer temperatures than others. Many require a temperature range from 10 – 12 C to 40C, these are best grown in sub tropical to tropical climates unless grown indoors.
Others such as the popular A. fragrantissimum will cope with temperature down to 2 C.
Popular Varieties Include :
- Adiantum ternum – Also known as the ‘Brittle Maidenhair’ , weeping habit and sold under a number of cultivar names. Large growing and best suited to warmer climates.
- Adiantum macrophyllum – Best in warmer climates, interesting new pink foliage.
- Adiantum elgans – Easy to grow, fine foliage that arches in a graceful manner, will grow in cooler climates.
- Adiantum fragrantissimum – The most commonly grown Maidenhair fern, and in fact the most commonly grown of any fern. Lacy foliage and will grow in cooler temperatures than many.
- Adiantum formosum – Black stems and require a warm climate
- Adiantum trapeziforme – One of the largest growing species reaching nearly 2m in height. Best in a bush house or grown indoors.
- Adiantum fergusonii – Another with larger leaflets, requires a dryish winter
- Adiantum peruvianium – Also called the ‘Silver Dollar Fern’ Larger leaflets than most and requires warm conditions.
Wholesale Maidenhair (Adiantum) Growers
1052 Whittlesea-Kinglake Road Kinglake West 3757
Offering a specialist variety of Australian native Ferns plus Dendrobium/Dockrillia & Sarcochilus species & hybrids in pots, loose, or mounted. Species Cymbidium sauve and maddidum.
101 Thomas st Brighton East Vic
A family owned business, supplying the industry for over 100 years. Herb, Vegetable, and Flower seedlings in punnets and 10 - 27cm pots. Boston & Maidenhair ferns, inc exclusive compact Elite Princess, 13 cm - 20cm pots.
LONSDALE FERN WHOLESALERS 21 Christie Road Lonsdale SA 5160 phone: 08 8326 0707 fax: 08 8384 7517 Suppliers of quality Ferns, Silver Lady, Maiden Hair, Hen & chicken fern, Island Beauty and many more hardy varieties.
THE HANGING GARDEN 61 Coolart Rd Balnarring Victoria 3926 phone: 03 5983 5431 fax: 03 5983 5542 Wholesale, Retail and Mail order Nursery that specialises in Tree fern and associated products, Stag / Elkhorn and other Ferns, Orchids, Bromeliads. Huge and unique range!
HAAR’S NURSERY 1375 Frankston Flinders Road, Tyabb, VIC, 3913. Ph 03 5977 4631 Fax: 03 5977 3385 email firstname.lastname@example.org Strictly wholesale only. Incl: Maidenhair Ferns Specialising in growing flowering colour, indoor and outdoor lines and herbs. Supplier to retailers and landscapers.