Japanese Painted Fern
It is the new foliage of Athyrium niponicum varieties that give it the common name of ‘Japanese Painted Fern’.
These are a deciduous mound forming fern that grow well in shaded areas of the garden as well as in pots and hanging baskets.
Used as an accent or texture plant in the garden Japanese Painted Ferns are resistant to most pests and are problem free once established. The fronds have a natural arching habit, distinctly triangular in shape.
The species most widely grown is Athyrium niponicum ‘pictum’, silvery green foliage and excellent in dappled shade.
Japanese Painted Fern Varieties
Over recent years a number of stunning varieties have been produced with different foliage characteristics.
- Athyrium Wildwood Twist – Silvery grey new foliage. Clump forming to around 50 cm tall and over time forming a clump to around 1 metre.
- Athyrium Pewter Lace – New foliage silvery pewter with green with purple veins. Will reach around 30 cm in height and form a clump of around 60 cm over time
- Athyrium Ursula’s Red – Faster growing than most with a strong deep red central rib on pale silvery green new foliage.
- ‘Burgundy Lace’ – Deep red new foliage in spring. To around 50 – 60 cm in height.
- ‘Oceans Fury’ – Grey green new foliage with crested leaf tips. taller growing to around 60 – 70 cm.
The best position to grow any of the Athyrium niponicum varieties is in dappled shade. This is a fern that can be grown is reasonably dry soils, however it will perform better in a humus rich well drained soil that retains some moisture through the summer months.
In cooler areas it will cope with a little more sun, however in sun it requires more moisture.
In winter the plant will become dormant, this is the time to prune away old dead foliage.
You can also apply some fresh mulch and a little fertiliser. We use some blood and bone and well rotted compost and cow manure to give these attractive foliage plants a real boost spring.
Athyrium niponicum or ‘Japanese Painted Fern’ is available for sale from the following participating nurseries.
PO Box 7040 Leura NSW 2780
Rare woodland plants, Trilliums Epimediums, Arisaemas, plus much more.www.lynnsrareplants.com.au
442 Russells Road, Pine Mountain Ipswich QLD 4306 - phone: 07 54643976
Pine Mountain Nursery is a mail order plant nursery and also specialises in breeding elite agapanthus, clivia and other warm climate bulbs.