A very attractive fern for growing indoors or in warmer zones outdoors Pteris ensiformis is commonly called the Silver Lace Fern. This is a fern from tropical to sub tropical climates so requires protection from the cold and will not tolerate frosts.
Sometimes sold as Pteris ensiformi ‘Evergemiensis’, as well as Pteris ensiformi victoriae both slightly different form to the species, however all have green leaf margins with a silvery creamy centre.
How to grow Pteris ensiformis
- A moisture retentive light and loose potting mix is best.
- Good drainage is important.
- A position in dappled shade.
- Water as the soil begins to dry a little.
- Protect the plant from air conditional ducts and cold drafts, as well as drying drafts from heating ducts.
- Botanical Name : Pteris ensiformis
- Common Names : Silver Lace Fern, Sword Brake Fern,
- Family: Pteridaceae
- Origins: Tropical Australia through Pacific Islands, Asia and Polynesia
- Position : Part Shade
- Soil : Moist and well drained
- Growth Rate : Medium to Fast
- Height : To around 40cm
- Spread : To around 30 cm
- Frost Tolerant : No