One of the best easy care landscaping ferns, Polystichum proliferum is commonly called the Mother Shield Fern.
It naturally forms a neat rosette of tall fronds and grows well in a shaded position in a humus rich soil.
It is not subject to many insect pests, requires little care others than a tidy up of old foliage and is suited to growing in pots and containers.
Well suited for use a feature plant in the garden, or for mass planting, if you prepare the soil well this is a very easy care fern.
- Dig in good amounts of compost before planting.
- Water in well with a liquid seaweed fertiliser.
- Mulch around the fern to maintain a cool moist root run.
- Prune back old growth in winter as it dies back.
Propagation is from spores or from the bulbils it forms on the fronds.
- Botanical Name – Polystichum proliferum
- Common Name – Mother Shield Fern
- Family – Dryopteridaceae
- Origins – Australia – East Coast.
- Height – To around 1m
- Spread To around Clumping to around .3 metres.
- Growth rate – Medium to fast
- Position – Part shade to dappled light.
- Soil – Humus rich with some moisture
- Flowering Time – N/A
- Foliage – Mid to deep green.
- Frost tolerant – Yes.
- Drought tolerant – Medium.
Polystichum proliferum – Mother Shield Fern is available for sale from the following participating nurseries
1052 Whittlesea-Kinglake Road Kinglake West 3757
Offering a specialist variety of Australian native Ferns plus Dendrobium/Dockrillia & Sarcochilus species & hybrids in pots, loose, or mounted. Species Cymbidium sauve and maddidum.