With upright leathery foliage, Blechnum wattsii is commonly found in shaded areas along creeks and in damp areas.
This is an easy to grow fern and makes a good ground cover plant. The new foliage is pink opening to a bronze colour before turning to a deeper green.
This is fern that requires a moist soil and a shaded position to thrive although it will grow in more open and slightly drier positions.
Growing as a terrestrial fern, Blechnum wattsii spreads naturally by creeping underground rhizomes.
- Botanical Name – Blechnum wattsii
- Common Name – Hard water Fern fern.
- Family – Blechnaceae
- Origins – Eastern Australia from Queensland to Tasmania.
- Height – Fronds will reach around 1 metre in length in good conditions.
- Spread To around .5 metres.
- Growth rate – Medium
- Position – Light shade.
- Soil – Moist
- Flowers – N/A. Plants are propagated from spores.
- Flowering Time – N/A
- Foliage – Deep green.
- Frost tolerant – Yes.
- Drought tolerant – No
Blechnum wattsii is available for sale from the following participating nurseries
1052 Whittlesea-Kinglake Road Kinglake West 3757
Offering a specialist variety of Australian native Ferns plus Dendrobium/Dockrillia & Sarcochilus species & hybrids in pots, loose, or mounted. Species Cymbidium sauve and maddidum.