WHOLESALE Areca vestiaria (Red Crownshaft palm) NURSERIES
One of the more interesting palm trees is Areca vestiaria, probably best described as spectacular, if you choose the right variety. Originally from Indonesia, this is a palm tree that requires warmth and humidity to perform at its best.
A palm tree for part shade, Areca vestiaria is commonly called the ‘Red Crown shaft palm’. Very attractive growth habit with fronds that are held semi erect in a manner that shows off the red of the crown shaft or neck.
- Height – To 4m
- Spread – To 2m with a fairly open habit.
- Soil – Humus rich moist.
- Position – Dappled shade.
- Growth rate – slow.
- Suited as an indoor plant – Yes.
Areca vestiaria Varieties
This is a clumping palm tree, although two varieties are available.
- The Red Form has a good crown shaft and for added interest the new growth foliage is a good red. It tends to be a clumping variety and is a brilliant landscaping plant.
- The second form has a red to orange crown shaft, however new foliage is green. This form does have its advantages in that it is better suited to cooler climates. It will form a clump, however not as readily as the red form.