Thuja plicata – Plant Profile and Landscaping Uses
Thuja plicata are a larger growing Thuja species, evergreen and great screening plants growing to 15m depending on species and conditions. Thuja species prefer full sun however will be OK in part shade as well.
Best known for the Western Red Cedar, Thuja plicata varieties have a lot to offer landscapers and home gardeners. It is the cultivars that are most widely offered for sale by wholesale growers and these include a range of smaller growing plants used for hedging.
Used as hedging plants, they are fast growing and hardy.
However some of the smaller growing varieties often escape attention, and many are worthy garden plants. Cultivars such as T. plicata ‘Cuprea’ and T. plicata ‘Rogersii’ are very low growing and excellent plants for the rock garden or growing in containers.
Species and cultivars include:
- Thuja plicata ‘Western Red Cedar’ – Fast growing and an excellent tall hedge or windbreak plant.
- Thuja plicata’Fastigiata’ – Deep green foliage and an upright habit with foliage that tends to droop a little. Reaches 5 – 7 m in height.
- Thuja plicata ‘Gelderland’ – Fast growing and easy to prune to shape. Deep green foliage which turns to a red /bronze in winter.
- Thuja plicata ‘Zebrina’ – Fan shaped foliage with a variegated look of mid green and gold towards the edges. Good conical growth habit and will eventually reach 12 – 15m in height.
- Thuja plicata ‘Canadian Gold’ – Slow growing and with attractive golden foliage.
WHOLESALE THUJA PLICATA NURSERIES
111 Stanhope Road Theresa Park NSW 2570
Offering a variety of sun hardy Australian natives and exotic trees, shrubs, groundcover's and perennials from semi advanced through to super advanced and semi-mature stock.
55 McDougal Rd Neerim South Victoria 3831 PH: (03) 56281507
Advanced ornamental trees and garden designs and concept plans. Direct to your property combined with specialist knowledge and outstanding service.