Horstmanns Silberlocke Korean Fir
Also known as Silberlocke Korean Fir and Horstmanns Silberlocke Korean Fir, its attractive green foliage grows with recurved or twisted needles, revealing a silvery reverse. Abies koreana Silberlocke is an evergreen conifer that will eventually reach around 5m plus in height.
Attractive cones will appear along the branches in season. These begin as a deep purple and will appear when the plant is quite young.
The attractive foliage also makes it well-suited as a living Christmas Tree. Growth habit is loosely pyramidical, and like most conifers, grows well in slightly acidic soil.
It is best grown in a sunny to part-shaded position. The growth rate is slow, so it is a conifer suited to growing in containers. Container-grown specimens are usually restricted a little in height and growth rate.
How to Grow Korean Firs
Like most Korean Firs, Silberlocke is best left unpruned as the natural growth habit is the most attractive.
- Plant Abies koreana Silberlocke in humus-rich and well-drained soil.
- Water regularly through the first summers.
- Once established, the plant is relatively drought tolerant.
- In very hot summers, regular deep watering will be beneficial.
- Mulch around the plant to maintain a cool root run.
It may take ten years to reach 3m in height. Eventually, however, it will outgrow its container.
- Botanical name – Abies korena Silberlocke
- Common names – Korean Fir, Horstmans Silberlock
- Country of origin – China, Korea and Taiwan. This is a cultivar.
- Climate zones – Temperate to cool
- Position – Full sun to part shade
- Soil – Well-drained, humus-rich
- Height – Generally to around 4m, taller over time
- Spread – Will spread to 2m
- Growth rate – Slow to medium
- Foliage – Green
- Flowers – Purple cones
- Flowering time – Mainly in spring
- Frost tolerant – Yes
- Drought tolerant – Medium
Abies koreana Silberlocke is available for sale from the following nurseries
125 Palmer Rd Jindivick 3818
Open Thursday - Sunday 10am - 4pm
Specialising in growing and selling Rare and Unusual Trees, shrubs Perennials Bulbs and Climbers, a unique nursery with amazing stock.
CNR Sherbrooke & Mt Dandenong Tourist Rds Ferny Creek. VIC 3786
Conifers, Magnolias, Maples, Dogwoods and Buxus.
82 David Hill Rd Monbulk (Opposite Vika Ave)
Japanese Maple and Magnolia specialists, Wholesale and Retail. Large range of other deciduous and evergreen ornamental trees and shrubs.