Abies koreana Silberlocke – ‘Horstmanns Silberlocke’
With attractive green foliage which grows with recurved or twisted needle that reveal a silvery reverse, Abies koreana Silberlocke is an evergreen conifer that will eventually reach around 5 metres plus in height.
Best grown in a sunny to part shaded position, growth rate is slow and thesis a conifer suited to growing in containers.
The attractive foliage also makes it well suited as living Christmas Tree. Growth habit is loosely pyramidical, and like most conifers grows well in a slightly acidic soil.
Container grown specimens are usually restricted a little in height and growth rate. Also known as Silberlocke Korean Fir and ‘Horstmanns Silberlocke Korean Fir’.
Attractive cones will appear along the branches in season. These begin as a deep purple and will appear when the plant is quite young.
Abies koreana Silberlocke Care
Like most Korean Firs, Silberlocke is best left unpruned as the natural growth habit is the most attractive.
- Plant Abies koreana Silberlocke in a humus rich and well drained soil.
- Water regularly through the first summers.
- Once established the plant is relatively drought tolerant.
- In very hot summers regular deep watering will be beneficial.
- Mulch around the plant to maintain a cool root run.
It may take 10 years to reach 3 metres in height, however eventually it will out grow its container.
- Botanical Name – Abies korena ‘Silberlocke’
- Common Names – Korean Fir, Horstmans Silberlock
- Country of Origin – China, Korea and Taiwan this is a cultivar
- Climate Zones – Temperate to cool
- Position – Full sun to part shade
- Soil – Well drained humus rich.
- Height – Generally to around 4 metres, taller over time
- Spread – Will spread to 2 metres.
- Growth Rate – Slow to Medium.
- Foliage – Green.
- Flowers – Purple cones.
- Flowering Time – Mainly in spring.
- Frost tolerant – Yes
- Drought tolerant – Medium
Abies koreana Silberlocke is available for sale from the following nurseries
1070 Jacksons Track, Jindivick 3818
Specialising in growing and selling Rare and Unusual Trees, shrubs Perennials Bulbs and Climbers, a unique nursery with amazing stock.
CNR Sherbrooke & Mt Dandenong Tourist Rds Ferny Creek. VIC 3786
Conifers, Magnolias, Maples, Dogwoods and Buxus.
82 David Hill Rd Monbulk (Opposite Vika Ave)
Japanese Maple and Magnolia specialists, Wholesale and Retail. Large range of other deciduous and evergreen ornamental trees and shrubs.