A dwarf form of Pinus mugo, ‘Amber Gold’ a variety that is distinguished by the foliage. In summer it a good green, is colder climates in winter the needles turn a very attractive golden yellow.
Excellent in a container and also widely used to add winter colour to the garden. This is a plant that would grow well in a rock garden and could also be used as a low growing feature plant either side of an entrance or pathway.
Best grown in a position where it is exposed to the cold of winter if you want the colour.
- Plant in a humus rich soil in full sun to a little afternoon shade.
- Water in well with a liquid seaweed fertiliser and water through he first two summers.
- Mulch lightly to maintain a cool root run.
- A little general purpose slow release fertiliser in spring should be adequate.
This is a plant that requires little to no pruning to maintain a compact rounded shape.
- Botanical Name – Pinus mugo ‘Amber Gold’
- Common Name – Pinus ‘Amber Gold’, Dwarf golden mugo Pine.
- Position – Full sun
- Soil – Humus rich moist and free draining.
- Height – To 2 metres, however only .5 – .7 metres in the first 10 – 15 years.
- Spread – Similar to height.
- Growth rate – Slow
- Frost tolerant – Yes
- Drought tolerant – Medium
Pinus mugo ‘Amber Gold’ is available for sale from the following nurseries
'Justly famous for rare and unusual plants' Don Teese
34 Mt Pleasant Rd Monbulk VIC 3793
CNR Sherbrooke & Mt Dandenong Tourist Rds Ferny Creek. VIC 3786
Conifers, Magnolias, Maples, Dogwoods and Buxus.