Cupressocyparis leylandii- The Leyland Cypress
Cupressocyparis are a hybrid between Chamaecyparis and Cupressus, the Cupressocyparis leylandii cultivars are the most popular forms. Commonly called Cupressus, Cypress as well as Conifer it is the cultivar names that distinguish the varieties.
Used widely as hedging plants as well as for taller screens and windbreaks, these fast growing evergreen trees or shrubs are widely used in a range of landscaping applications.
Cupressocyparis leylandii Varieties
- C. leylandii ‘Leighton Green’ will reach 15m, is fast growing and has attractive green foliage. Sunny position to part shade, water well when establishing, reasonably drought tolerant once established.
- C. leylandii ‘Castlewellan gold’ has a similar growth habit but with nice golden tips to the new foliage.
- C. leylandii ‘Naylors Blue’ will reach 10m and with a grey blue ting to the foliage is attractive. Perhaps not as upright as others.
- Position – Full sun to a little shade.
- Soil – Humus rich well drained.
- Growth rate – Regarded as having a fast growth rate, reaching to 5m in 8 – 10 years in good conditions.
- Fertiliser – Regular slow release fertiliser in spring.
- Pruning – Generally once a year pruning is adequate to maintain size and shape as required. Trees can be left unpruned to act as specimen trees.
Cupressocyparis leylandii Landscaping Uses
With dense and rapid growth, along with being easy to prune, Cupressus Leylandii have a range of landscaping uses.
- A a privacy screen or hedge.
- As a specimen or background tree in a larger garden.
- To screen areas of a garden or commercial area.
- Reduce noise on busy thoroughfares.
- Act as a windbreak.
Cypress Leylandii Sizes
With most Cypress we suggest that for reliable growth that the best planting size is from 1 – 2 m.
Larger specimens may be available, however they can be very difficult to establish. They have heavy tops and the root systems have difficulty in re-establishing.
Wholesale Cupressocyparis are available for sale from the following participating nurseries.
WINTER HILL TREE FARM Ph: 02 4878 9193 Fax: 02 4878 9109
NSW Southern Highlands
Retail & Wholesale. Advanced trees & hedging. Grown in pots for year-round planting. 45 litre - 1000 litre available. Great range. Great Quality. Delivery available.
111 Stanhope Road Theresa Park NSW 2570
Offering a variety of sun hardy Australian natives and exotic trees, shrubs, groundcover's and perennials from semi advanced through to super advanced and semi-mature stock.
CNR Sherbrooke & Mt Dandenong Tourist Rds Ferny Creek. VIC 3786
Conifers, Magnolias, Maples, Dogwoods and Buxus.
2505 Westernport Road, Ripplebrook, Victoria
The largest range of deciduous and evergreen advanced trees from 1-12 metres with over 100,000 trees to select from. SpringRing® grown trees from 25 litre to 1000 litre as well as field grown specimen trees and mature palms. Australia-wide delivery