Magnolia White Caviar features creamy white flowers and a naturally dense growth habit.
Flowering from spring through to summer this is a said to be a Magnolia figo – Magnolia yunnannsis (syn. Magnolia laevifolia) hybrid, taking on some of the best characteristics of both.
The flowers are fragrant and contrast well against the mid to deep green foliage. Foliage is small and internodes are on the short side making this an easy plant to prune.
Like most yunnannsis types this is a plant that will grow well in full sun as well as part shade.
The best time to prune is immediately after flowering, in late spring tp early summer. Regular pruning is best to maintain size and shape, left unpruned it can reach 4 metres (12 ft) in height and around 2 metres plus in width.
Fertilise twice a year in formative stages, once in spring and again in late summer.
How to Plant Magnolia White Caviar
- Prepare the soil well before planting. Ensure good drainage and consider adding some aged cow manure before planting in poor soil.
- Dig a hole to the same depth the plant was in the pot and twice as wide. Extra width loosens the soil and give the root system a chance to grow easily.
- Plant and backfill around watering in with a liquid seaweed fertiliser.
- Mulch around the plant well to maintain a cool moist root run.
- If planting as a hedge try a spacing of around 1 metre to 1.5metres for a good dense hedge.
Magnolia White Caviar is available from the following nurseries
Online and Retail Melbourne and Geelong based garden centres. Check out their large range of indoor and outdoor plants, Australian Natives, Fruit Trees and Edibles, Succulents, Gardenias, Camellias, Hydrangeas plus a full range garden products for delivery in Melbourne.