A beautiful spring flowering tree, Magnolia ‘Star Wars’ is aptly names as when the flowers open the petals point in every direction.
A naturally upright spreading habit give the plant a rounded look when grown in the open. This a Magnolia lilliiflora x campbelli hybrid, managing to take the best characteristics of its parents.
The flowers first appear as deep pink buds, they slowly open to a tulip shape and then put on the display that gives them their ‘Star Wars’ Name.
This is a deciduous tree in most climates, however in warmer areas it can be semi deciduous. It has won the RHS Award of Garden Merit, but we thick the flowers speak for themselves.
How To Grow Magnolia Star Wars
Best grown in a deep humus rich soil.
This is a tree that likes protection from winds, both hot and cold.
A position where it is protected from frosts is also recommended, as frosts can damage the new flower buds.
- Dig the soil over before planting adding some compost and aged cow manure.
- Plant at the same level as it was in the pot
- Water in well with a liquid seaweed fertiliser
- Water through the foist few summers.
- Mulch around the plant to maintain a cool moist root run.
Generally, pruning is not required. Removal of and dead or damaged wood is the exception.
You can prune the tree is absolutely needed, however this tends to destroy the natural shape and create a congestion of branches.
- Botanical Name : Magnolia Star Wars
- Common Names : Magnolia Star Wars
- Family : Magnoliacae
- Position : Full sun to afternoon light shade
- Soil : Humus rich moist and free draining
- Height : To around 6m (18ft)
- Growth Rate : Medium
- Spread : To around 5m (15ft)
- Foliage :Mid green
- Flowers : Soft pink, large and fragrant