Fast growing, free flowering and easy to prune, Fairy Magnolias are fairly new to the gardening world.
Attractive brown felted buds form in winter, followed by open star shaped flowers.
The flowers are fragrant and appear from late winter through spring. They are an evergreen Magnolia with a good naturally upright habit. The flower buds form at every leaf axil ( where the leaf joins the stem). They are easy to prune, and in fact make excellent hedging plants.
Use them as a stand along specimen, as a screen or background in the garden border, or as a hedge.
Fairy Magnolias are available in two colours, white and pink, so we have ‘Cream Fairy’ and ‘Blush Fairy’. These are a hybrid Magnolia bred in New Zealand.
You May also like
- Magnolia Star Bright, an excellent free flowering variety for screening, hedging or a feature plant.
- Height – From 4 – 5 metres, however easily pruned to 2metres.
- Spread – Around 2 metres. For a dense hedge plant at 1 metre apart.
- Growth Rate – Regarded as fast in good conditions.
- Position – Full sun to a little shade
- Soil – Humus rich well drained.
Pruning Fairy Magnolias
This will be depend of the shape and growth habit you wish to achieve. Really they can be shaped to anything, from an espalier to a hedge, even a standard. Very easy to prune and best pruned after flowering.
Fairy Magnolias are available for sale from the following nurseries
82 David Hill Rd Monbulk (Opposite Vika Ave)
Japanese Maple and Magnolia specialists, Wholesale and Retail. Large range of other deciduous and evergreen ornamental trees and shrubs.
To buy Fairy Magnolias in Melbourne and Victoria also try :
WISHING WELL NURSERY phone : (03) 9756 6107
407 -409 Monbulk Rd, Monbulk VIC 3793