If you are looking for a compact, evergreen Magnolia with sweetly perfumed flowers then Magnolia Sweet ‘N’ Neat could be worth a look.
This is a Magnolia grandiflora cultivar and has a cone shaped growth habit and a neat appearance.
It will spread to around 2 metres across and reach a height of around 3 metres over 10 years. Featuring the trademark coppery indumentum on the underside of the deep green foliage, the flowers are a creamy white to around 16 cm across.
Care and Planting
Once established this is remarkably hardy plant. It will grow well in a humus rich well drained soil, it tolerated light frosts with little damage and will require little extra water once established.
When planting dig over the soil well and add some cow manure and well rotted compost.
Plant at the same depth as it was in the container and water in well with liquid seaweed fertiliser.
Mulch around the plant to maintain moisture and a cool root run.
Water through dry periods and first few summers.
Fertilise with a general purpose fertiliser in spring.
This is a variety that is easy to prune. Light pruning in spring will keep it in shape. It is possible to hard prune back to around 1 metre in height to revitalise the plant after a number of years if required.
Hard pruning will promote a good bushy habit, fresh new growth and more flowers.
- Botanical Name – Magnolia grandiflora Neat ‘N’ Sweet’
- Common Name – Magnolia Neat ‘N’ Sweet’
- Position – Full sun to a little afternoon shade.
- Soil – Humus rich, well drained, slightly acidic.
- Height – To around 3 – 4 metres over 8 years.
- Spread – To around 2 metres over 8 years,
- Foliage – Deep green, glossy with coppery reverse.
- Flowers – Creamy white with a light sweet perfume
- Flowering Time – Spring to summer.
- Frost tolerant – Mild frosts only.
- Drought tolerant – Moderate