A medium to large tree, Magnolia grandiflora ‘Exmouth’ has a more upright habit rather than spreading and this makes it useful as a screening tree.
From the Southern states of North America, over time in ideal conditions it can reach 20m + however in cultivation usually growing to around 10m in height.
Magnolia Exmouth Varieties
Be aware that two forms of this tree are available the second is Magnolia Grandiflora ‘Exmouth’ (Compact Form) and is usually what is sold, but not always labeled as such.
This is a M. grandiflora variety with a bushier habit with broader foliage than ‘Exmouth’ itself, with a wonderful bright cinnamon felt or indumentum on the underside of the leaves.
With glossy green foliage backed with felt copper colour, the flowers are probably the most fragrant of all of the evergreen magnolias, large and a slightly creamy white. One of the really appealing factors is the size of the flowers. As a matter of interest this cultivar was developed in the UK over 100 years ago
- Be a little patient if you are buying a small specimen as they can take 7 – 10 years to flowers.
- Plant in a deep moist but well drained soil, full sun to part shade, the warmer the climate the more shade.
- Mulch to retain moisture and maintain a cool root run.
- Water in well when planting using a liquid seaweed fertiliser.
- Stake to ensure a good upright habit.
Once it settles in this is a tree that requires little extra care and only watering in very dry periods. Replenish mulch each spring while the soil is still damp.
Like all Magnolias, Exmouth is a little shallow rooted so it does not like to be disturbed by digging, we suggest mulching to keep weed free and planting some hardy small bulbs beneath, crocus, daffodils and the like.
Successful in large containers as long as moisture and fertiliser are maintained. Can be pruned to maintain shape
- Botanical Name – Magnolia grandiflora ‘Exmouth’
- Common Name – Bull Bay Magnolia
- Position – Full Sun, although part shade in hotter climates is also suited.
- Soil – Humus rich well drained with some summer moisture.
- Height – From 10 to 15 metres.
- Spread – Will form a crown to 8 metres across.
- Foliage – Evergreen – Deep glossy green with brown indumentum on the reverse..
- Flowers – Large White
- Flowering Time – Summer.
Available from the following participating nurseries
55 McDougal Rd Neerim South Victoria 3831 PH: (03) 56281507
Advanced ornamental trees and garden designs and concept plans. Direct to your property combined with specialist knowledge and outstanding service.
"Propagation and Production of Native and Exotic Trees
with Natural Root Systems from 2 to 2,000 lts."
Phone: 0411 435 314
Online Retailer of Landscaping Plants, large quantities of small pot sizes up to advanced sizes & plant Sourcing.
SYDNEY | NORTHERN NSW | GOLD COAST | BRISBANE | MELBOURNE | ADELAIDE