A medium to large tree, Magnolia grandiflora ‘Exmouth’ has a more upright habit rather than spreading so is useful as a screening tree. From the Southern sates of North America in ideal conditions over time it can reach 20m + however in cultivation usually growing to around 10m in height.
Magnolia Exmouth Varieties
Be aware that two forms of this excellent tree are available the second is Magnolia Grandiflora ‘Exmouth’ (Compact Form) and is usually what is sold, but not always labeled as such. It is a bushier habit with broader foliage than ‘Exmouth’ itself, with a wonderful bright cinnamon felt or indumentum on the underside of the leaves.
With glossy green foliage backed with felt copper colour, the flowers are probably the most fragrant of all of the evergreen magnolias, large and a slightly creamy white. One of the really appealing factors is the size of the flowers. As a matter of interest this cultivar was developed in the UK over 100 years ago
- Be a little patient if you are buying a small specimen as they can take 7 – 10 years to flowers.
- Plant in a deep moist but well drained soil, full sun to part shade, the warmer the climate the more shade.
- Mulch to retain moisture and maintain a cool root run.
- Water in well when planting using a liquid seaweed fertiliser.
- Stake to ensure a good upright habit.
Once it settles in Magnolia Exmouth requires little care and only watering in very dry periods. Replenish mulch each spring while the soil is still damp.
Like all Magnolias, Exmouth is a little shallow rooted so it does not like to be disturbed by digging, we suggest mulching to keep weed free and planting some hardy small bulbs beneath, crocus, daffodils and the like.
Successful in large containers as long as moisture and fertiliser are maintained. Can be pruned to maintain shape
- Botanical Name – Magnolia grandiflora ‘Exmouth’
- Common Name – Bull Bay Magnolia
- Position – Full Sun, although part shade in hotter climates is also suited.
- Soil – Humus rich well drained with some summer moisture.
- Height – From 10 to 15 metres.
- Spread – Will form a crown to 8 metres across.
- Foliage – Deep glossy green with brown indumentum on the reverse..
- Flowers – White
- Flowering Time – Summer.
Available from the following participating nurseries
55 McDougal Rd Neerim South Victoria 3831 PH: (03) 56281507
Advanced ornamental trees and garden designs and concept plans. Direct to your property combined with specialist knowledge and outstanding service.
Sproules Lane Bowral NSW 2576
Wholesale production nursery specialising in Cool Climate perennials and shrubs. Supplying Retail Nurseries and the Landscape Trade. Services include contract growing and plant sourcing.