The Silver Brake Fern – Pteris argyraea
If you are looking for colorful foliage in a fern then Pteris argyraea commonly called the Silver Brake Fern could well be worth a look. This is a very decorative fern and with broad silvery white bands the foliage adds a touch of brightness to dark areas of the garden.
Good mid green foliage the silvery variegation running up the centre of each frond, and to top it off a central vein of green.
A striking vibrant fern that adds colour to the fernery or garden. This is a reasonably large growing fern reaching up to 1m in height in good conditions.
It will spread to form a good clump up to .5m across before needing dividing.
Excellent in a fernery, Bush House or in a shaded position in the garden. Suited to planting as border plant next to pathway in deepish shade with moist soil.
Growing Pteris argyraea Indoors
Although this is large growing fern, it makes an excellent indoor plant that will grow well in containers.
Pteris argyraea Care
- Best grown in dappled shade to fairly deep shade this is a fern that requires a humus rich moist soil.
- Light to heavy shade – A little morning sun is OK, however hot sun will quickly scorch the foliage.
- Prepare soil well by adding a good amount of compost and moisture retentive material.
- Mulch around plants each year in spring after watering well.
- Fertilise using a liquid seaweed fertiliser every 3 weeks from spring through to late summer.
Pteris argyraea is available for sale at the following Nurseries
WISHING WELL NURSERY – ph : 03 9756 6107
407 – 409 Monbulk Rd Monbulk Vic 3793