Buxus microphylla Japonica or ‘Japanese Box’
Often used for low hedging from around .5m to 1.5m in height, Buxus Microphylla Japonica or ‘Japanese Box’ is a fast growing boxwood sometimes used for topiary.
Flowers are insignificant, and this plant with its mid to lime green foliage is mainly grown for hedging.
Well suited to cool to temperate climates, given good soil conditions and adequate water this is a species that will put on good growth from spring through to early summer, and is regarded as the fastest growing of the Buxus varieties.
The leaves are a little larger and coarser than some so although the fast growing nature is appealing, it is a plant that does not lend itself to fine topiary shapes.
For hedging planting distance should be at around 25cm apart or at a rate of 4 plants per meter. At larger spacing a hedge will take longer to fill in and create a solid barrier.
Larger plants can be purchased in up to 300mm pots, however smaller 140mm pots are much more economical and will grow quickly given moisture and some fertilizer.
- How fast does it grow ? – This variety is regarded as the fastest growing of all of the box hedges. In good soil and warm climates it can grow 30 cms in one year.
- How far apart do you plant Buxus microphylla ? – Plant at a maximum of 30 cm apart for a hedge, 15 – 20 kms for a faster and denser hedge.
- Will it grow in shade ? – Japanese Box grows well in full sun and will tolerate shade as well
- Buxus Sempervirens Graham Blandy
- Buxus Sempervirens aurea pendula
- Buxus Microphylla Japonica
- Buxus Microphylla ‘Faulkner’
- Buxus Microphylla Koreana
WHOLESALE BUXUS MICROPHYLLA JAPONICA NURSERIES
111 Stanhope Road Theresa Park NSW 2570
Offering a variety of sun hardy Australian natives and exotic trees, shrubs, groundcover's and perennials from semi advanced through to super advanced and semi-mature stock.
Sproules Lane Bowral NSW 2576
Wholesale production nursery specialising in Cool Climate perennials and shrubs. Supplying Retail Nurseries and the Landscape Trade. Services include contract growing and plant sourcing.
17 McCarthy Rd Monbulk, Vic, 3793, Australia
Specialising in propagation and production of over 900 species / varieties of ornamental plants, perennials & rare plants. Supplying nurseries, landscapers & others. Minimum quantities apply! Contact us to discuss plants or growing requirements.