One of the newer hedging plants for warmer climates, Radermachera ‘Summerscent’ is both dense growing and long flowering. It is well suited to areas such as Brisbane through to Cairns and further north.
This is well a behaved plant in that it does not readily set seeds and is a great alternative to Murraya for use as a hedging plant. In our opinion it has better flowers and better foliage.
The species originates in China, the botanical name is Radermachera sp. ‘Kunming’, and it is best suited to Tropical and Sub Tropical areas although in will grow in the milder temperate areas.
In a warm climate this is a remarkably easy care plant, water wise once established and easy to prune.
- A well drained humus rich soil is best, heavy water logged or clay soils are not suitable.
- A position in full sun to part shade is best. Deep shade is not suitable.
- Regular light pruning will maintain a dense bushy habit.
- Regular applications of good organic fertiliser will help promote strong growth.
- Position – Full sun to part shade.
- Soil – Humus rich and well drained.
- Water requirements – Relatively low once established.
- Height – Will reach 2 – 4 metres
- Spread – Will spread to 4 metres, easily pruned to a smaller size.
- Flowers – White with yellow centres.
- Perfume – Mild fragrance.
- Foliage – Mid green
- Evergreen – Yes.
- Flowering time – Through the year in warmer climates.
- Frost – Does not tolerate frosts when young.
Radermachera ‘Summerscent’ Landscaping applications.
This is a versatile plant, and although the foliage and flowers make is well suited as a feature plant in the garden border it does have other uses.
- Screening plant – With dense foliage and reasonably fast growing it is suited as a screen.
- Windbreak Plant – Again the dense habit makes it suited as a windbreak plant, perhaps near a pool or outdoor living area.
- Potted specimen – As Radermachera ‘Summerscent’ takes well to pruning it can be grown in containers as well.
Radermachera ‘Summerscent’ is available for sale from the following nurseries
113 Old Smithfield Rd, Freshwater (Cairns) QLD 4870
Ph: (07) 4055 1262