Murraya Paniculata – Mock Orange or (Orange Jasmine)
The evergreen hedging plant Murraya paniculata is widely used in warmer climates as a fast growing hedge. Fragrant flowers are an added attraction on a versatile and much used plant.
Murraya, Mock orange or Orange jessamine are all common names for Murraya paniculata. This is the most commonly used Murraya in landscaping, and it can makes a great evergreen hedging plant.
Delicate foliage with masses of creamish white perfumed flowers (see picture right). Fast growing it can be cut back to form a good screen.
The main flowering period is spring to summer and the plant is so popular it is perhaps overused in some areas. However its versatility and ease of care continue to make a favourite.
Murraya paniculata Growth habit and care
Although it will easily reach 3m in time it is a reasonably slow goring plant and can take 3-4 years to reach full size.
Often pruned or trimmed to create a smaller or more formal hedge Murraya, Mock orange or Orange jessamine is best pruned innerly autumn or spring. Spring is also a good time to fertilise, after pruning water well. apply fertiliser and water well again.
Regular pruning will create a nice dense hedge, so a good shaping in spring and then a tidy up in late summer to autumn will keep them in shape. If planting as a hedge plant at 50cm centres.
Looking for a dwarf murraya, try Murraya Paniculata ‘Min-A-Min’ this one will reach around 1m, an excellent low border plant
Spring is also a good time to renew mulch which will create a cool root run and help promote good growth.
- When planting Murraya, for a good dense hedge plant at a distance or spacing of between 30 cm to 50 cm apart works well.
- The height is best when kept between 1 metre and 2.5 metres.
- Growth rate regarded as medium to fast
For a strong hedge that will last, be careful with fertiliser.
- Rapid, high nitrogen fertilisers should be avoided. They promote lists of new green growth, however it is usually weak, subject to burning in hot sun and requires lots of moisture.
- Try using organic fertilisers, vermicaste tea is excellent and you can use it as a foliar spray. Blood and Bone, beneficial soil microbe, and mulch all promote strong, disease resistant growth.
Murraya paniculata (mock orange) are available for sale from the following nurseries
Healthy, 100% Organic garden plants. Buy online, direct from grower. 100% satisfaction guarantee. Flat-rate postage QLD NSW VIC ACT SA & NT. Huge range of tropical & rare plants, fruit & edibles, trees, flowers, foliage & more.