Beberis thunbergii var. atropurpurea ‘Helmond Pillar’
With a strong upright growth habit, Beberis Helmond Pillar provides landscapers with a versatile plant with good coloured foliage. It is the strong columnar habit in combination with the foliage colour that make this such a useful landscaping plant.
The full name is Beberis thunbergii var. atropurpurea ‘Helmond Pillar’ and this small shrub can be used in a range of landscaping applications.
Excellent as a feature plant in the garden border where the upright nature and attractive foliage add a sense of height.
Also suited to planting as a low border or screen. Excellent for use in smaller gardens due to its compact habit.
Beberis ‘Helmond Pillar’ Summary
- Botanical Name – Beberis thunbergii var. atropurpurea ‘Helmond Pillar’
- Common Name – Beberis Helmond Pillar, Helmond Pillar Barberry.
- Height – Will reach around 1.5 to 2 metres in height.
- Spread – Over time will spread to around .7m at the top.
- Growth rate – Regarded as having a moderate growth rate.
- Position – Best in full sun to a little afternoon shade.
- Soil – Best in a humus rich well drained soil, however tolerant of poorer soils. Not suited to wet clay soils.
- Drought tolerance – Good tolerance of dry periods once established.
- Foliage – Small, rounded and a deep red to burgundy in colour.
- Foliage colour is best in full sun.
- Flowers – Small and yellow in spring.
- Container growing – Berberis Helmond Pillar grows well in containers.
Beberis Helmond Pillar is available for sale from the following participating wholesale nurseries.
82 David Hill Rd Monbulk (Opposite Vika Ave)
Japanese Maple and Magnolia specialists, Wholesale and Retail. Large range of other deciduous and evergreen ornamental trees and shrubs.