The Red leafed Japanese Barberry
For colour and impact from new foliage until autumn it is hard to beat Berberis thunbergii atropurpurea.
Also known as the Red leafed Japanese Barberry, this is a deciduous plant, very hardy and it grows well in part shade to full sun.
A small bushy shrub, it is thorny and works well as a barrier plant. The foliage emerges a purple to bronze before taking on an attractive bronze/red in autumn.
Once planted and established this is a very easy care plant.
- Dig over the soil well.
- Add some well rotted compost.
- Ensure the soil drains well.
- Plant and water in with a liquid seaweed fertiliser.
- Mulch around the plant to maintain a cool root run.
- Fertilise with a general purpose fertiliser in spring.
- Botanical Name – Berberis thunbergii atropurpurea
- Common Name – Red leafed Japanese Barberry
- Position – Full sun to part shade.
- Soil – Well drained.
- Height – To around 1.5 metres
- Spread -To around 1.5 metres.
- Flowers – Insignificant and greenish yellow
- Flowering Time – Late spring to early summer.
- Foliage – Purple to a red/bronze depending on season.
- Frost tolerant – Yes
- Drought tolerant – Yes
Berberis thunbergii atropurpurea are available for sale from the following nurseries
125 Palmer Rd Jindivick 3818
Open Thursday - Sunday 10am - 4pm
Specialising in growing and selling Rare and Unusual Trees, shrubs Perennials Bulbs and Climbers, a unique nursery with amazing stock.
82 David Hill Rd Monbulk (Opposite Vika Ave)
Japanese Maple and Magnolia specialists, Wholesale and Retail. Large range of other deciduous and evergreen ornamental trees and shrubs.
52 Rodd St Canowindra NSW 2804
An online nursery specialising in drought and frost tolerant perennials and fragrant, edible and herbs.