Aronia Berry Plants
With the search for super foods, have been rediscovered in recent years, however they have been grown by gardeners for their hardy nature for many years. These are a group of deciduous garden shrubs and now the berries are promoted as high in antioxidants.
Grow them as ornamental plants, or for the berries Aronia are popular once again. The berries are rich in vitamin C and seen as a good source of antioxidants, they are easy to grow, have attractive flowers and good autumn foliage.
- A. melanocarpa is the Black Chokeberry and will reach around 2m in height with a similar spread. Pretty white flowers in spring are an added attraction.
- A. arbutifolia is the Red Chokeberry. Grown for the good autumn colour, reds and oranges through the foliage, as well as the deep purple berries.
Aronia melanocarpa or ‘Black Chokeberry’ is tough plant that will survive in a range of conditions as long as it gets plenty of sun. Nice glossy foliage and dark red to purple fruit. Aronia fruit is very bitter, birds tend to avoid it.
Pruning is generally not required or is minimal, prune to shape or control size in late winter if needed.
Plants will reach between 1 metre and 2.5 metres in height depending on the variety. They may take 3 years to produce fruit, and a further 2 years to become fully productive.
How to grow Aronia Berry Plants – summary information
- Position – Full sun, Aronia berry plants require around 6 hours of good sun a day to be productive.
- Soil – Humus rich, moist and well drained.
- Prepare to plant – Dig the soil over well and ensure that the root system has well prepared soil to grow into, so dig the hole deeper and wider than needed and add lots of compost to the soil you are going to backfill with.
- Plant, backfill and water in with a liquid seaweed fertiliser.
Aronia berry plants are available for sale from the following participating suppliers.
82 David Hill Rd Monbulk (Opposite Vika Ave)
Japanese Maple and Magnolia specialists, Wholesale and Retail. Large range of other deciduous and evergreen ornamental trees and shrubs.
412 James Lane, Fern Hill VIC. 3458 - Phone 0419002651
Large range of Rare plants, Climbers, Bulbs, Perennials Fruit Trees, Ornamental Trees and Shrubs. Available both Retail and by Mail Order