Japanese Blood Grass – Imperata cylindrica rubra
A popular landscaping grass with attractive foliage that is red tinged Japanese Blood Grass with its new red tipped shoots amongst the older foliage is used widely as an ornamental grass. Excellent colour in autumn. Requiring little care other than removal of overly green sections. Excellent in a container where it adds brilliant colour to garden or courtyard.
HOWEVER, the species itself, Imperata cylindrica is regarded as an invasive weed. THe ‘rubra’ variety is said to not produce seed, and is also said to be less aggressive in its spread. However this is being debated in the USA, where it is thought to be only part sterile…
Growing conditions and care
Frost can be a problem, however Japanese blood grass will quickly recover. Use a liquid seaweed fertilizer, or an all purpose slow release fertilizer applied in spring. Excellent as a feature in the garden, mass planted for landscaping or grown in pots or containers. Will reach around 50cm and prefers full sun with a humus rich moist but well drained soil.
Japanese blood grass (Imperata cylindrica ‘rubra’) is a wonderful red grass excellent for landscaping but also attractive when grown it pots of containers. It does have a tendency to creep and spread, so maybe consider a root barrier if planting in the garden.
- Botanical Name – Imperata cylindrica ‘rubra’
- Common Names – Japanese Blood Grass, Cogon Grass
- Country of Origin – Japan.
- Climate Zones – Warm Temperate to Mediteranean.
- Position – Full sun to light afternoon shade
- Soil – Tolerates a range of well drained soils and moist soils.Height –To around 1.5 metresSpread – Clumping to 2 – 3 metres.
- Growth Rate – Medium
- Foliage – Mid Green base with red tips..
- Flowers – Seed heads are large and silvery grey.
- Flowering Time – Spring to Summer.
- Frost tolerant – Moderate frosts only.
- Drought tolerant – No
- Root system – The cultivar ‘rubra’ is regarded as non invasive. Any clump that reverts to fully green should be removed.
Feature grass in the border or grown in a container.
Japanese Blood Grass is available for sale from the following nurseries
470 Monbulk-Silvan Road Monbulk VIC 3793
"Guaranteed mail order flowering bulbs, perennials, roses, trees, landscaping plants, garden accessories and community fundraising Austra lia-wide."