Japanese Forest Grass
A very decorative ornamental grass Hakonechloa macra aureola is a low growing variety, that grows well is moist soils. In Japan it grows beneath the Cedars in light shade.
This one is perhaps our favorite Japanese Grasses and we do have to thank Rex from FCHS for introducing it to us some years ago. The first time we saw it was in a container at the summer show, and it was just an outstanding sight. Wonderful weeping green and pale yellow foliage, it was stunning.
Sometimes known as Hakone Grass, this grass is a clumping species that does well in shaded areas as well as part sun. This is an ornamental grass that grows well in pots and containers.
- Hakonechloa macra is the green form, and is found lining the pathways near shrines in Japan, the Mt Fuji Shrine is one.
- ‘Aureola’ is a variegated cultivar.
- Hakonechloa macra Beni Kaz is a red coloured cultivar.
- Hakonechloa macra ‘All Gold’ has golden foliage as the name suggests.
Hakonechloa Macra Aureola Care
This is a slow spreading grass that does well in shaded areas. The yellow and green foliage of make a stunning display both in the garden and in a pot or container.
Upright foliage and a suitable feature grass for the shade garden. This is a perennial evergreen grass and it looks great in a shaded position growing next to a small pond.
Growing Conditions Summary
- Position – Best in light shade or afternoon shade.
- Soil – Humus rich and moist in summer.
- Height – will reach around 30 – 40 cm in height.
- Spread – This is a clump forming grass spreading to 35 cm, more over time.
- Frost Tolerant – Yes.
- Drought Tolerant – No
- Fertiliser – Use a slow release general purpose fertiliser in spring.
Hakonechloa Macra Aureola is available for sale from the following nurseries
412 James Lane, Fern Hill VIC. 3458 - Phone 0419002651
Large range of Rare plants, Climbers, Bulbs, Perennials Fruit Trees, Ornamental Trees and Shrubs. Available both Retail and by Mail Order
Large variety of Epimediums, Woodland plants and Herbaceous perennials
Mail order or nursery. We do not send to Tasmania or WA
Little Hampton, Vic 345
"Mail order nursery specialising in cottage garden perennials, flowering shrubs, Trilliums, Hostas and Pacific Coast Iris. Flat rate express postage - Except WA & TAS"
PO Box 7040 Leura NSW 2780
Rare woodland plants, Trilliums Epimediums, Arisaemas, plus much more.www.lynnsrareplants.com.au