Camellias Plants and Varieties for Sale
Camellias are great garden plants with well known species including as Camellia sasanqua, japonica and the ‘tea plant’ C. sinensis. They come in a range of plant forms and camellia flower types also vary greatly.
Camellia Japonica is a well known ornamental species from China and Korea. Camellia sasanqua is a sun loving camellia that makes a great hedges or hedging plants. Camellia sinensis is the tea of commerce, grown widely for the young leaves that are picked and dried. Camellia Higo are related to camellia japonica but rare in Australia while Camellia Reticulata has large flowers, again not widely found in Australia.
The ‘Japanese camellia’, camellia japonica are very popular for the masses of flowers, for care and pruning of camellia japonica.
The sun loving camellia, well suited to sunny position and great as a flowering screen or hedge or use Camellia sasanqua as a stand alone specimen plant.
Camellias as Hedges
Camellias make great hedges, although slow growing they make a dense screen, flowering and great glossy foliage. Cammellia hedges require little pruning and care once established.
Camellias are versatile as a specimen plant, evergreen background in a border or use camellias as a hedge or screening plant. All camellias like a well drained moist soil with lots of humus as well as a cool root run, so compost and mulch are great. Camellia reticulata prefer a part shaded position, camellia japonica prefers part shade but can handle full sun in some areas, can be clipped into a hedge. More Winter Flowering Plants
- Camellias have been popular with gardeners for centuries, in particular in China and Japan.
- Long flowering season, nice glossy foliage and are fairly disease resistent.
- Once established camellias are fairly drought tolerant.
- Easily clipped to form a flowering hedge.
- Camellias grow well in pots.
- They can be trained, pruned or even espaliered so they can fit in almost anywhere.
- Sasanqua Camellias are tolerant of shady positions, but do best in part shade to full sun depending on climate, and with brilliant flowers can liven up darker parts of the garden.
- Flowers come in many colors, from white throught to dark reds, including pink mauve, yellow and even multicolored.
- Flowers come as both singles and doubles.
- Camellias have a mild sweet fragrance.
- Foiliage if very popular as ‘backing’ with florists.
- Camellia flowers are often ‘floated’ in a bowl of water.
- They will grow from 2m to 15m depending on species.
5-6 m (Camellia sasanqua)
10-15m (Camellia Japonica)
- Tea comes from ‘camellia sinensis’
- Camellia kagirohi, Camellia petelotii, Camellia flava, Camellia rubriflora,Camellia fraterna, Camellia pubicosta, Camellia tamdaoensis, Camellia amplexicaulis and Camellia cucphuongensisisare newly discovered yellow flowering species discovered in Vietnam, not readily available in Australia.
Camellia Nursery – Australian Online Camellia Nursery Guide
CNR Sherbrooke & Mt Dandenong Tourist Rds Ferny Creek. VIC 3786
Conifers, Magnolias, Maples, Dogwoods and Buxus.
We offer a wide range of quality plants (seedlings to advanced trees) delivered straight to your door. No minimum required and quality assured. We deliver Victoria wide and can plant for you too.
'Justly famous for rare and unusual plants' Don Teese
34 Mt Pleasant Rd Monbulk VIC 3793
1070 Jacksons Track, Jindivick 3818
Specialising in growing and selling Rare and Unusual Trees, shrubs Perennials Bulbs and Climbers, a unique nursery with amazing stock.
470 Monbulk-Silvan Road Monbulk VIC 3793
"Guaranteed mail order flowering bulbs, perennials, roses, trees, landscaping plants, garden accessories and community fundraising Austra lia-wide."
357 Monbulk Road SILVAN VIC 3795
Guaranteed "garden worthy" bulbs, plants and perennials. Visit the website to browse our large range of daffodils or request the latest free catalogue.
CAMELLIAS-R-US – phone: 02 96522879 fax: 02 96522877
34 Harrisons Lane Glenorie NSW: 2157
Camellia nursery growing and selling quality sasanquas, japonicas, reticulatas, hybrids, Higos and species.
HEDLEN ADVANCED LANDSCAPE PLANTS – phone: 0418398540 fax: 03 5975 5559
25 Morell St Mornington Vic 3931
Advanced trees 3/6m high , Japanese maples camilia magnolia pittosporum conifer & others