If you are looking for a Camellia that has a natural slender upright habit then Camellia sasanqua Slimline ‘Avalanche’ is an excellent choice.
Used as a narrow screening plant it is a standout, it will reach around 4 metres in height over time and requires little to no pruning. Masses of white flowers from autumn into winter and deep green foliage are a feature.
This is a new release and we regard this as being among the best screening plants for Australian conditions.
The columnar habit also make it suitable for growing either side of an entrance either in the ground or in containers. It can also be used as an Espalier Camellia
Being a Sasanqua type Camellia it tolerates hot conditions as well as light frosts however is better when protected from the heat of the afternoon sub in warmer areas.
As a screening plant it can be planted at around 1 metre (3ft ) apart, a little closer for a denser screen.
The flowers are a clean white with a slight fragrance. ‘With Love’ is a pink flowering variety with a similar growth habit.
Camellia ‘Avalanche’ Planting and Care
- Plant is a sunny to part shaded position in a well drained humus rich soil.
- A slightly acidic soil is preferred.
- In pots use a specialist camellia and rhododendron potting mix.
- Mulch around the plant to maintain a cool moist root run.
- Fertilise with a specialist Camellia and Rhododendron fertiliser in spring and again in autumn.
- Botanical Name – Camellia sasanqua ‘ParAva’
- Name – Camellia sasanqua Slimline ‘Avalanche’
- Soil – Well drained slightly acidic
- Position – Full sun to part shade
- Height – To around 4 metres
- Width – To around 1 metre
- Growth rate – Medium
- Flowers – White, slight fragrance
- Foliage – Small deep green