Camellia Polar Bear
With large semi – double creamy white flowers Camellia japonica ‘Polar Bear’ is a naturally bush plant with good deep green foliage.
Flowering from mid winter to spring like all camellias it prefers part shade, but not deep shade. In very deep shade flowering will be limited.
Plant in a humus rich soil which is slightly acidic. Water in well with a liquid seaweed fertiliser and mulch to maintain a cool root run.
Water well through the first summers and during any long dry spells for first few years. Once established, if well mulched, this is a very hardy and easy care plant.
- Position – Part shade to afternoon shade.
- Container – Yes
- Height 3m Spread 2.5m
- Topiary – Can be pruned to flat screen
Camellia Japonica Polar Bear Care
East care in the right position, Camellia japonica ‘Polar Bear’ and will have better flowers in part shade with protection from winds.
- Humus rich moist soil
- Well drained
- Stake when planting to maintain good upright growth
- Water in well with a liquid seaweed fertilizer
- Mulch well to maintain a cool root run
- Apply a specialist camellia and azalea fertilizer in spring after flowering.
- Prune after flowering from a young age to promote a good bushy habit