Sometimes called the ’Shaggy Box’, Buxus bodinieri with its bright green foliage offers landscapers and gardeners something a little different.
Used as a low hedge, it creates an informal look it=f left unpruned. With medium sized foliage it could also be used as a topiary plant.
The plant is native to China and it will grow well in part shade. It is suited for planting beneath deciduous trees close to the drip line.
Best grown in light shade or afternoon shade, Buxus bodinieri is excellent as a low growing hedge, It can also be used as a filler, or as a background plant in the garden border.
- Dig in some well rotted compost and cow manure before planting.
- Water in with a liquid seaweed fertiliser.
- Mulch around the plant to maintain a cool root run
This is a plant that is easily pruned to size and can be maintained as a small shrubby plant.
- Botanical name – Buxus bodinieri
- Common Names – Bodinier’s Boxwood and ’Shaggy Box’.
- Height – Can reach 3 metres plus.
- Spread – To around 1 m plus
- Foliage – A deep to mid green
- Flowers – Flowers are insignificant.
- Position – Full sun to dappled shade.
- Growth rate – Slow to medium.
Buxus bodinieri is available for sale from the following participating wholesale nurseries
Mob: 0421 821 307 Fax: 03 9752 0976
Quality grafted Japanese Maples. Largest range in Australia. Supplying Landscapers and Retail Nurseries. Strictly Wholesale. All states except WA.