One of the outstanding flowering native climbing plants is Pandorea pandorana ‘Snowbells’.
Masses of snowy white flowers from spring to summer with spot flowers through to early winter. The flowers are a pure ivory white with a slight fragrance.
This is a vigorous evergreen climber that will quickly cover a trellis, pergola or fence. An excellent choice for growing up a column where the flowers can be shown of to their best.
Also known as the white Wonga Wonga Vine, or Pandorea pandorana alba, other varieties include the yellow flowering ‘Golden Showers’
Pandorea ‘Snowbells Care
Best grown in full sun to part shade ‘Snowbells’ can be pruned back after flowering to help maintain size and shape. Heavy frosts can be a problem, however plants generally recover well.
For great results plant Pandorea ‘Snowbell’ in a position where the root system in cool and shaded yet the plant grows into full sun.
Although it is a plant that thrives in a humus rich well drained soil it also copes with dry summers. Fertilize with a specialist native plant fertilizer in spring.
- Botanical Name – Pandorea pandorana ‘Snowbells’
- Common Names – White Flowering Pandorea, White Wonga Wonga Wonga Vine
- Family – Bigoniaceae
- Height – To 10 metres plus if given support.
- Growth rate – Fast growing climbing or scrambling plant.
- Spread – To 3 metres.
- Soil – Best is a humus rich soil, however very adaptable.Well drained Sandy Loam, Loam or Clay soil that drains.
- Position – Full sun to a little shade.
- Flowers – White bell shaped.
- Flowering Time – Spring to summer.
- Drought tolerant – Medium
- Frost tolerant – Medium
Available for sale from specialist native plant nurseries.
Available for sale from the following Nurseries
470 Monbulk-Silvan Road Monbulk VIC 3793
"Guaranteed mail order flowering bulbs, perennials, roses, trees, landscaping plants, garden accessories and community fundraising Austra lia-wide."
In Melbourne Try
1210 Melba Hwy, Yarra Glen VIC 3775
Phone: (03) 9730 2400
530 Burwood Hwy, Wantirna South VIC 3152
You may also like