Acacia cognata is a narrow-leafed wattle, sometimes called the ‘River Wattle‘. The smaller growing cultivars, including ‘Limelight’, ‘Green Mist’ and ‘Waterfall’, are most popular. All have been developed from the natural form, which is a small weeping tree.
The newer cultivars, especially dwarf forms such as Acacia cognata ‘Limelight’, Acacia cognata ‘Lime Magik’ and Acacia cognata dwarf ‘Mini Cog’, are perhaps one of the most successful developments in Australian Native Plants in recent years with a number of varied cultivars being developed. The dwarf or low-growing forms are becoming increasingly popular in Australian gardens.
River Wattle Care
All A. cognata do well in full sun to part shade and prefer drained soil. Pruning is not generally required, although tips can be trimmed to keep in shape.
An all-purpose Australian Native Plant fertilizer applied in spring will benefit growth.
Acaia cognata ‘Bower Wattle’ or ‘River Wattle’ cultivars all prefer a sunny, well-drained position. Once established Acacia Cognata species are relatively drought-tolerant and are useful both as specimen plants and as hedging plants.
A. Cognata cultivars vary in height from 0.75m through to 6-8m. The dwarf forms receive much attention; however, we believe that the taller growing cultivars such as A. cognata ‘Copper Tips’ are also of equal value in landscaping, especially for use as screening plants.
Varieties of Wattle include:
- A. cognata ‘Bower Beauty’ is a dwarf form growing to approx 1m. Great green foliage and striking orange/bronze new growth.
- A.cognata ‘Copper Tips’ is a small weeping tree growing to 6m depending on conditions. It has really nice bright green pendulous foliage with copper-coloured new growth. Makes a nice small specimen tree or could be used as a hedge or screen.
- A. cognata ‘Curtain Call’ is a taller growing variety to around 5m with an eventual spread of 3-4m. Excellent as a screening plant or as a small feature tree.
- A. cognata ‘Lime Majik’ has lighter green foliage than some. Tall to around 4m with a nice weeping habit.
- A. cognata ‘Waterfall’ lives up to its name. Great for trailing over a retaining wall with green foliage that will cascade down the wall for 2m.
- A. cognata ‘Fettuccine’ is a compact, low-growing cultivar growing to 75 – 90cm. Maintains a nice shape and is suitable for use as a low-border plant or a specimen in a border or container.
- A. cognata ‘Green Mist’ and ‘Limelight’ will grow to 1m, again a nice weeping habit and great landscaping plants.
- A. cognata ‘River Cascade’ will grow to approx 1m and again makes an excellent low hedging or border plant.
Acacia cognata varieties are available for sale from the following nurseries
Online and Retail Melbourne and Geelong based garden centres. Check out their large range of indoor and outdoor plants, Australian Natives, Fruit Trees and Edibles, Succulents, Gardenias, Camellias, Hydrangeas plus a full range garden products for delivery in Melbourne.
55 McDougal Rd Neerim South Victoria 3831 PH: (03) 56281507
Advanced ornamental trees and garden designs and concept plans. Direct to your property combined with specialist knowledge and outstanding service.
470 Monbulk-Silvan Road Monbulk VIC 3793
"Guaranteed mail order flowering bulbs, perennials, roses, trees, landscaping plants, garden accessories and community fundraising Austra lia-wide."