Bush Tucker or Native Foods :: Plant Profile and Growing Hints
Bush Tucker plants are available for sale online from specialist nurseries, growing and care often means trying to mimic the natural environment where these plants originally come from. Good drainage and full sun are often prerequisites, whoever individual species will require little research to be grown successfully.
Bush Tucker derives its name from the food that was readily available growing naturally in the bush. The local knowledge of which foods were edible was passed down from generation to generation with elders acting as teachers, and over recent years it has been realized what an underused resource naturally growing foods are. Some foods were used for medicinal purposes. Today these foods are used in industry to provide new and interesting flavors and help develop new and unique Australian recipies and cuisine.
The list of Bush Tucker plants available includes : dorrigo pepper, candlenut, cut leaf mint bush, riberry, lemon myrtle,aniseed myrtle, ginger, Illawarra Plum, cedar Bay cherry, blackbean, moreton bay chestnut, burdekin plum, ,midyim berry sandpaper fig, warrigal greens and bungwall.
Bush Tucker plants or native food plants are increasingly popular both for the variety of taste that can be found, the diversity of plants and with some bush tucker plants now being hybridized production is increased.
Bush Tucker plants are now being used in the food industry as flavoring while some are also becoming available as fresh food such as Midyim or midgen berry, Sandpaper Fig (Ficus coronata) and Beach Cherry ‘(Eugenia reinwardtiana).
Other well known Bush Tucker Foods with the common names are:
- Acid Drop Vine or Melodorum leichhardtii
- Apple Berry or Billardiera scandens.
- Atherton Oak or Athertonoa diversifolia.
- Banana Fig or Ficus pleurocarpa.
- Blue Quandong – Elaecarpud grandis.
- Bunya Pine or Araucaria bidwillii (Bunya Nuts)
- Burdekin Plum – Pleiogynium solanderi
- Cherry Satinash – Syzygium luehmanii.
- Cheese Fruit or Morinda citrifolia.
- Chocolate Lily or Arthropodium strictum
- Cluster Fig or Ficus racemosa.
- Daintree stainash or Syzygium erythrocalyx.
- Davidsons Plum or Davidsonia puriens
- Herbert River Cherry – Antidesma bunius.
- Lemon Aspen – Acronychia acidula.
- Midjinberry – Austromyrtus tenufolium,dulcis
- Millaa Millaa Vine – Elaeagnus triflora
- Mountian Pepper or Tasmannia lanceolata
- Muntries or Kunzea pomifera
- Native Banana – Musa banksii.
- Native limes or Microcitrus australis
- Native Leek or Bulbine bulbosa
- Native Raspberry or Rubus parvifolius
- Peanut Tree or Sterculia quadrifolia
- red Beech or Dillenia elata.
- Warrigal greens or Tetragonia tetragonioides
- Wombat Berry or Eustrephus latifolius
Bush Tucker Plants For Sale Online In Australia
146 Dignams Crk Rd via Narooma NSW 2546
Tubestock - [50mm forestry tubes and 70mm supertubes] specializing in Bush Tucker Plants , Natives indigenous to the NSW South Coast , Permaculture Plants - Fruits, Nuts & Berries .
DINGO CREEK RAINFOREST NURSERY
Bulga Rd Bobin (via Wingham) NSW 2429
PH (02) 65505167 Fax (02) 65505086
Rainforest Plants, Edible native Plants. Bush Regeneration Plants, Re-afforestation Catalogue available
PROSPERITY WITH NATURE Pty Ltd
PO Box 383 Childers QLD 4660
Prosperity With Nature offers an online permaculture nursery, sustainable living workshops, and permaculture design services. The nursery supplies a variety of plants and specialises in bushfoods, herbs and multi-functional plants.
PO Box 582 Gisborne, Vic Australia 3437 – Tel: 03 5428 2828 Fax: 03 5428 2828
Wattle seed, bush tomatoes, quandongs, lemon myrtle, mountain pepper, macadamias, bunya nuts, warrigul greens, native thyme, riberrys, midyim berries, wild hibiscus, portulaca, muntries, nitre bushes and many more. An informative, online shop stocks a complete range of seeds, food, value added products and books.
THE RAGGED BLOSSOM NATIVE NURSERY BANGALOW
Bush Tucker Plants including Midyimberry, Aniseed Myrtle, Lemon Myrtle, Davidson Plum, Smooth Davidsons Plum, Plum Pine, Cut Leaf Mint Bush, Riberry, Blue Lilypilly.