A truely unique species from Western Australia, Grevillea magnifica has flowers that are an unusual pink iridescent purple before opening to a pink and white.
The main flowering period is from late winter to spring and the flowers appear as terminal buds, making them conspicuous.
This is naturally upright shrub reaching around 4m in height. A good light screening plant, and excellent for attracting nectar seeking birds to the garden.
Being from Western Australia good drainage is essential for this species.
It is also best grown in an open position where it gets good air flow.
- Dig the soil over well to twice the diameter of the container.
- Add some well rotted cow manure and aged compost.
- Plant at the same level the tree was in the container.
- Water in well with a liquid seaweed fertiliser.
- Water lightly in the first summer.
- Mulch around the tree to maintain a cool root run.
During long dry periods a deep watering will keep the plant looking good.
No fertiliser is requires in good soils. You can use a little specialist native plant fertiliser (low phosphate) in poor soils if desired.
A little tip pruning may assist a bushy growth habit
- Botanical Name – Grevillea magnifica (syn. grevillea petrophiloides ‘magnifica’)
- Common Name – Grevillea Pink Pokers
- Origins – South West of Western Australia
- Position – Full sun to a little shade.
- Soil – Humus rich well drained.
- Height – To around 3-4 metres.
- Spread – To around 2-3 metres.
- Growth habit – Open
- Growth rate – Medium.
- Flowers – Purple to pink, cylindrical in form.
- Flowering time – Winter to Spring with spot flowering year round.
- Foliage – Pale to Mid green and deeply divided.
- Frost tolerant – Light frosts only.
- Drought tolerant – Yes once established.
- Dislikes – Humidity, Poor draining soil and Phosphate fertilisers.
Grevillea Magnifica may be available for sale from the following nurseries
Muchea Tree Farm WA.
Goldfields Revegetation VIC.
Vaughans Native Plants VIC.
- Grevillea oligomera X magnifica is a smaller growing hybrid, very long flowering.
- Magnifica ssp magnifica
- Grevillea magnifica ssp remota
- Grevillea magnifica dwarf