Regarded as one of the most outstanding low growing Grevilleas, and in fact one of the best Grevilleas of all is Grevillea ‘Poorinda Royal Mantle’.
It is fast growing, a dense growth habit is drought tolerant and copes with light to medium frosts.
Grow it for the red toothbrush flowers that appear in late spring to early summer, or the year round foliage. The only thing Grevillea ‘Poorinda Royal Mantle’ does not like is high humidity, so an open position and probably not suited to tropical areas.
How to Grow and Basic Care
Best grown in well drained soil, full sun to a little light afternoon shade.
- Plant and water in.
- Much around the plant to help suppress weeds.
- Fertilise in summer with a specialist Australian Native plant fertiliser.
- Space plants at around 1 – 2m apart for a dense ground cover in 2 – 3 years.
Pruning Grevillea ‘Poorinda Royal Mantle’
Tip pruning is best to maintain size and a bushy growth habit, pruning also helps promote flowering. Avoid disturbing the root system, so choose a permanently position as it resents being transplanted.
Like most Low Growing Grevillea varieties, you can prune in mid spring and flowering should occur in around 9 – 12 weeks.
- Botanical Name – Grevillea ‘Poorinda Royal Mantle’
- Common Name – Grevillea ‘Poorinda Royal Mantle’
- Family – Proteaceae
- Position – Full sun to some afternoon shade,
- Soil – Wel drained.
- Height – To around .2m
- Spread – To 5 – 6 Metres
- Growth Rate – Medium to fast
- Flowers – Red typical toothbrush type.
- Flowering Time – Late spring to summer
- Drought tolerant – Yes, once established.
- Frost tolerant – Yes