One of the most popular prostrate Grevilleas is Grevillea lanigera ‘Mt Tamboritha’. This is a natural mound forming plant, a neat growth habit, compact size, and with attractive pink and yellow flowers.
The flowers and dense growth habit make it well suited for use as a ground cover plant, this a great plant for attracting the smaller birds to the garden, especially nectar seeking birds.
With its neat compact growth habit it has a number of landscaping uses. It is well suited towards the front of the garden border, it also grows well in rock gardens.
It smaller gardens or courtyards it can also be from in a container.
Grevillea ‘Mt Tamboritha’ Care
Like all Grevillea lanigera varieties, this is a plant that likes a well drained soil and good air flow. It does not grow well in humid conditions.
Consider mounding up the soil in damp areas or heavy clay soils to improve the drainage.
- Dig the soil over well.
- Plant at the same depth as it was in the container.
- Water in with a liquid seaweed fertiliser.
- Mulch lightly around the plant to maintain a cool root run.
- Water occasionally through the first summer.
Light tip pruning will maintain a bushy compact shape.
- Best from cuttings taken in summer.
- Select half ripe tip cuttings.
- Use a hormone rooting powder.
- Place cuttings in a propagation mix.
- Keep just moist and out of full sun.
- Botanical Name – Grevillea lanigera ‘Mount Tamboritha’ form.
- Botanical Family – Proteaceae
- Common Name – Grevillea ‘Mt Tamboritha’
- Position – Full sun to a a little shade.
- Climate zone – Cool to warm Temperate. Not suited to humid sub tropical or tropical areas.
- Soil – Well drained.
- Height – To around .5 metres.
- Spread – To around .5 to 1 metres in size.
- Growth Rate – Medium
- Flowers – Varying from a cream to pink and red, typical spider like in clusters.
- Flowering Time – From winter to spring, with spot flowering through the year.
- Foliage – Evergreen, mid to deep green, fine white hairs on narrow oblong leaves.
- Frost tolerant – Light frosts only.
- Drought tolerant -Yes once established.
- Coastal conditions – Yes, second line.
Grevillea Mt Tamboritha is available for sale from the following growers and nurseries
Native grasses, sedges, rushes, lilies, wetland plants, ornamental grasses and grass trees. Contract growing. Cells, tubes and pots. Contemporary water wise garden solutions and revegetation specialists. Unique garden decor, pots and original sculptures. Delivery available. www.plantsandlandscapes.com.au