‘Lucky Bean Tree’
The ‘Lucky Bean Tree’ or Castanospermum australe is actually a tree. Also known as the Morton Bay chestnut and ‘Black Bean Tree’ it has many uses, interestingly as a house plant or indoor plant, for bonsai and for medicinal purposes. It is the seeds that are the ‘Lucky Beans’.
The fascinating thing about this tree is that it grows from a large bean, the bean itself sprouts and splits and the shoot grows from this, feeding on the bean. In it’s early stages it is a fascinating sight.
How to Grow the ‘Lucky Bean Tree’
As an indoor plant this is a fairly easy plant to grow until it outgrows its pot.
- Choose a pot or container that will hold the number of beans you want to grow spaced at around 5cm apart.
- The ‘Bean’ sits on top of the soil pressed down a little. You want most of the bean above the soil as in the photo above.
- Keep the soil just moist.
- Place the container near a sunny window.
- Mist spray the beans and the soil every day until the bean begins to sprout.
- After the bean sprouts just water the soil, not wet and soggy , just moist.
- After a while the bean will begin to shed its skin, remove this gently to reveal the green bean.
- Eventually the bean itself will fall away and you will be left with plant.
At this stage you might want to start over again. If you are thinking of growing the tree on, be aware that it will reach 8 metres in height easily and up to 30 metres in good conditions.
This ‘Lucky Tree’ is originally from the rainforests of Northern NSW and QLD, it will reach 40m in its natural habitat, but is much smaller in cooler climates and in cultivation. It does have a fairly vigorous root system so don’y go planting this near drains or buildings.
Many people grow these indoors until they get to large, they can be planted out and used as a shade tree. The timber is sought after for wood working and cabinet making. The seed pods are simply, large
Lucky Bean Tree’ or Castanospermum australe is available for sale from the following participating nurseries and growers
AMAZONE TRADING – T: 02 6688 4208
Fully accredited modern & progressive wholesale nursery located in Northern NSW. Premier production nursery to the sensational Zanzibar Gem®, Life On The Rocks & Magic bean. Indoor plant specialist
SARABAH NURSERY – 07 55435808 / 0419024516
189 Sarabah Road, Sarabah QLD 4275
Wholesale nursery specialising in quality advanced trees & shrubs from 300mm to 150L. Specialists in tree and shrub supply for Urban development and revegetation programmes also contract growing to specifications. We supply & deliver all states.